Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Found this interesting for you wood workers...

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 21:05:53 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 18:12:54 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wixey-WR510-...-/311349577001

Are they any good?

As a convenience? Likely so. I'd find something better to spend my
money on. This is bling, like adding a flowmeter to the helium
regulator at a balloon shop.

I have no experience with that particular unit , but we had a
digital/fraction readout similar to that on a small drum sander at a
cabinet shop I worked at , and a similar unit built into a "time
saver" (bigass machine!) sander at another . Both worked well .

The only problem I see is that this tech solves something which is not
a problem for 99% of woodworkers.

Most woodworkers, though, just plane the second and subsequent boards
to the same thickness as the first, and that's easily doable without a
digital readout.

Digital readouts are irreplaceable in metalworking, but only a bit of
a convenience in most woodworking.

I'm not "most woodworkers" . I was senior bench man in a multimillion
dollar commercial millwork shop , and "close enough" wasn't . I've built
reception desks that cost over $30,000 and done custom repair work that HAD
to match existing woodwork perfectly .

OK, so you're one of the few exceptions. A few are PFTC.

But did you really see any vital difference in setting up the planer
digitally vs using the analog scale?

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.