Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
zzz zzz is offline

Default Who owns service drop copper cables

I am discussing purchase of some amount of copper cable with the owner
of a recently closed company and its building.

He is okay with me buying any cable that provided service to
previously owned heavy machinery, as long as the lights and HVAC etc
is not affected.

The twist in the story is that the building has multiple utility
service drops and some serve huge panels, with own meters, that ONLY
power heavy equipment.

So, my thinking goes, I could take not only the cables after the
panels, but also the cable from the service drop to the panel after
the transformers, to the weatherheads, after the weatherheads, and the
panels themselves.

To take those cables, I would need to disconnect high voltage fuse
cutouts with a hot stick.

The owner is okay with that, however I want to make sure that it is
legal. And my question is, who owns the service drop low voltage
(480v) cables that come out of the pole transformers and go to the
meter panel. Is the real owner the building owner, or the utility?

This is generally an up and up deal where the person really owns what
he is selling, generally, but I want to double check on the service
drop cables. This matter is such that any meter reader would see what
happened. So I want to be more sure of what I am doing.

Also, if you want to make comments such as "I heard that electricity
is dangerous, do not mess with it", аÐÐ or other ignorant blather, I would
appreciate it if you could refrain from commenting, I wanted to hear
from people who actually know something.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/27/2015 11:05 PM, zzz wrote:
[...]

Contact the utility. If there is to be any fuss raised about "legality",
it will be coming from the service provider. Around here, the power
company provides the drop to the weather head (or meter panel, if the
line is buried). I doubt they will permit you to disconnect the drops
at the pole.

You seem to be referring to the same circuit as both high voltage and
low voltage, and have no clue who provides the wire. That suggests you
are not "people who actually know something."

Electricity is dangerous, do not mess with it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 May 2015 22:05:27 -0500, zzz
wrote:

[...]

Typically anything AFTER the meter belongs to the business..anything
before the meter belongs to the utility.

The meter is considered the transfer point. The cabinet that the
meter is in..belongs to the client..but the meter is the dividing line
between house and utility.

So unless you can get a Letter of Release from the utility visa
vis...where their stuff starts and yours starts...

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-05-28, Larry Kraus wrote:
Contact the utility. If there is to be any fuss raised about "legality",
it will be coming from the service provider. Around here, the power
company provides the drop to the weather head (or meter panel, if the
line is buried). I doubt they will permit you to disconnect the drops
at the pole.

You seem to be referring to the same circuit as both high voltage and
low voltage, and have no clue who provides the wire. That suggests you
are not "people who actually know something."

Low voltage is 480v, high voltage is what is coming from the pole to
the transformers.

I have decided, indeed, not to mess with it, and not turn a good scrap
deal into a nightmare.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

is dangerous, do not mess with it", 邪行 or other ignorant blather, I would
appreciate it if you could refrain from commenting, I wanted to hear
from people who actually know something.

Thanks

Typically anything AFTER the meter belongs to the business..anything
before the meter belongs to the utility.

The meter is considered the transfer point. The cabinet that the
meter is in..belongs to the client..but the meter is the dividing line
between house and utility.

So unless you can get a Letter of Release from the utility visa
vis...where their stuff starts and yours starts...

Gunner

Around here, the building owner provides pigtails coming out of the weather head. The utility (Public Service Electric & Gas) splices to those. When a service is upgraded, the town will not issue a permit until the utility approves the application. Then the owner's electrician splices back to the drop cables. After the new installation is inspected (by the town), the utility will come out and install a new drop cable.

In my case, we had to move the service head about 10 feet vertically and 8 feet horizontally before the permit issued. The reason was that the utility has changed equipment, and the shortest ladders they carry on the trucks are now too long to safely reach the weather head in its old location. Who would have guessed that?

jpb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No one. Cost of doing business.