Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Swing/articulating arms for holding equipment?

Im almost done doing the restoration work on my Windrose 18 sailboat
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02602/Windrose

and am doing the fiddly bits now. Im needing to mount a fishfinder,
gps, cell phone etc etc and other small equipment and need some ideas.

I would like to mount everything on an articulated arm inside the
cabin that would swing out through the hatch and be visible/usable
from the cockpit, and when the day is done..be swung back into the
cabin and secured inside the cabin...out of sight and out of mind.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...25221164295074

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...01047352396738

I dont care which side it would go on..it just needs to stick through
the hatch and simply show the face of the equipment to those in the
cockpit

Any ideas how to construct an arm?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Apr 2015 17:35:38 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Im almost done doing the restoration work on my Windrose 18 sailboat
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02602/Windrose

and am doing the fiddly bits now. Im needing to mount a fishfinder,
gps, cell phone etc etc and other small equipment and need some ideas.

I would like to mount everything on an articulated arm inside the
cabin that would swing out through the hatch and be visible/usable
from the cockpit, and when the day is done..be swung back into the
cabin and secured inside the cabin...out of sight and out of mind.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...25221164295074

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...01047352396738

I dont care which side it would go on..it just needs to stick through
the hatch and simply show the face of the equipment to those in the
cockpit

Mount instruments in the cabin and run a waterproof phone outside with
USB camera attached?

You're going to want those instruments to pivot both down and way over
to the side so it leaves the entire hatch clear, I'll bet.

Any ideas how to construct an arm?

Articulately. groan (Sorry, hadda doit.)

Google "pivot arm", "ball mount", and "ram mount" for some excellent
ideas built by current companies. I've seen arms built with CRS bar
stock bolted together with large ball bearings welded to connection
hardware. Not pretty but usable. You'd probably be best off using a
rubber style ball mount like Ram makes since you'll be around water.
But they're damned pricy.

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Just need a 3 part arm...so it will swing from the back wall of the
cabin (now beefed up with 3/4" marine plywood with a 1.5" gap behind
it and the actual cabin wall, mounted on SS standoffs) and then swing
around the edge of the hatch out into the open and out of the way..
Think of a "U" with the gear on one end and the mount on the other. Of
course..it could be an "S"
(Grin)

Any ideas how to construct an arm?

Articulately. groan (Sorry, hadda doit.)

Google "pivot arm", "ball mount", and "ram mount" for some excellent
ideas built by current companies. I've seen arms built with CRS bar
stock bolted together with large ball bearings welded to connection
hardware. Not pretty but usable. You'd probably be best off using a
rubber style ball mount like Ram makes since you'll be around water.
But they're damned pricy.

Ayup..they certainly are pricy. Hence my desire to build my own. If
the first one works well enough..Ill do it on all of my boats.

Ive got about 10' of 4x 3/4" aluminum slab I can whittle something out
of on the mill. Lots of chips and machine time...was hoping for some
ideas of something more time effective.

Thanks!

Gunner

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 5:35:43 PM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:
Im almost done doing the restoration work on my Windrose 18 sailboat
... Im needing to mount a fishfinder,
gps, cell phone etc etc and other small equipment and need some ideas.

I would like to mount everything on an articulated arm inside the
cabin that would swing out through the hatch and be visible/usable
from the cockpit

Have you considered one of the many computer-monitor articulating mounts?
If they''ll take the moist environment, they have just about the kind of
flexibility you need. Typically they terminate in a 100MM square mount plate.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 01:32:54 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 5:35:43 PM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:
Im almost done doing the restoration work on my Windrose 18 sailboat
... Im needing to mount a fishfinder,
gps, cell phone etc etc and other small equipment and need some ideas.

I would like to mount everything on an articulated arm inside the
cabin that would swing out through the hatch and be visible/usable
from the cockpit

Have you considered one of the many computer-monitor articulating mounts?
If they''ll take the moist environment, they have just about the kind of
flexibility you need. Typically they terminate in a 100MM square mount plate.

Yes Ive seen those. Im just trying to avoid spending that much money.
Cheaper is better. So far..Ive got $500 into the boat (bought it for
$300 and have bought fiberglass and resin for $50, sailes for $100 and
various bits of wood, paint and hardware for the last $50

Some of that mounting stuff is $200 all by itself.

GUnner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

How about hanging the panel in both places with hooks and eyes until
you find something better?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Will you be reading these instruments while inside the cabin, or just
from the deck? Also, what all instruments are you referring to?
Compass, vhf/cb, wind dir/speed, am/fm, and what else?

Think of a "U" with the gear on one end and the mount on the other. Of
course..it could be an "S"
(Grin)

Why not an ornate script W?

Any ideas how to construct an arm?

Articulately. groan (Sorry, hadda doit.)

Google "pivot arm", "ball mount", and "ram mount" for some excellent
ideas built by current companies. I've seen arms built with CRS bar
stock bolted together with large ball bearings welded to connection
hardware. Not pretty but usable. You'd probably be best off using a
rubber style ball mount like Ram makes since you'll be around water.
But they're damned pricy.

Ayup..they certainly are pricy. Hence my desire to build my own. If
the first one works well enough..Ill do it on all of my boats.

Ive got about 10' of 4x 3/4" aluminum slab I can whittle something out
of on the mill. Lots of chips and machine time...was hoping for some
ideas of something more time effective.

Then the ball mount might be ideal. Wire each boat identically and
use quick disconnects for the instruments, which would be swapped into
each boat as it's used.

Build a removable base for the instruments and mount them on a single
or double ball mount (depending on weight) for quick adjustment, or on
2" dowels for a fixed quick-release mounting.

---- ---- ----
-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------
|| ---=== (wiring) || dowel mounts/QD standoffs
|||| ||||
==== ==== QD base holddowns

Put another pair of holddowns inside the cabin if needed. Run wiring
out to the base, covered in split or spiral harness wrap.

The reason I suggest doing it this way rather than a nice, convenient
arm is that arms break far too often. If you take the boat into the
ocean or any large lake, your bouncing is going to want to break those
arms every time. Ditto during travel. Passengers will want to use
them to help themselves stand up, or will hold onto them during a
swell or storm, too. (Psst! Murphy told this to me.)

If you go with an arm, consider fixed sockets to grab the loose end at
the termination point. Arm construction would be multi-fingered
pivots like these, with rubber washers in between fingers to adjust
tension/movement. Go with large star knobs at the pivot points for
ease in use. http://tinyurl.com/kuwacy5
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/shzoMzGWj4E/maxresdefault.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/pzwfajn

Four 2" bars of that 3/4" aluminum should hold your 10ish # of gear.

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron
(Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
Im almost done doing the restoration work on my Windrose 18 sailboat
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02602/Windrose

and am doing the fiddly bits now. Im needing to mount a fishfinder,
gps, cell phone etc etc and other small equipment and need some ideas.

I would like to mount everything on an articulated arm inside the
cabin that would swing out through the hatch and be visible/usable
from the cockpit, and when the day is done..be swung back into the
cabin and secured inside the cabin...out of sight and out of mind.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...25221164295074

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...01047352396738

I dont care which side it would go on..it just needs to stick through
the hatch and simply show the face of the equipment to those in the
cockpit

Sounds like a good idea until you are running from a rough sea and arms are
flying every which way.

How about RAM mounts and longish cables.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If CHEAP is needed why mount the instruments. It is a swing keel or
centerboard boat isn't it? So running aground isn't a major
catastrophe and you are on a lake so the GPS isn't really needed every
second, which leaves the compass and if it is a sail boat then even
the compass isn't vital as you can only go where the wind takes you,
so to speak.

Certainly, "Cause I wanna" is a valid reason but the salt water boats,
I've been in, of the same size usually have only a compass showing in
the cockpit.
--
Cheers,

John B.