Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default IT WORKED!

I had to build up with weld the inside of a 1.125 bore because it was
off location about 1/8" in two directions. So I needed to put metal in
1/2 the hole so I could rebore the hole on the proper location. The
hole is about 4 inches long and goes clean through the part so I could
weld from both sides. I tried TIG but just couldn't weld very deep.
Couldn't get the torch is far enough. I do have a little Lincoln
SP125+ welder but the part is aluminum and the little welder isn't
really man enough to weld thick aluminum. So I tried pre-heating the
casting up to about 400 degrees and I was able to get sound welds. But
I still had problems getting deep into the hole. So I took the contact
tip off the torch, put it in the vise, and bent it with a hammer and
an aluminum punch. Then I ran some titanium welding wire coated with
Timesaver lapping compound and oil through the contact tip back and
forth to smooth out the inside where it had collapsed a bit from the
bending operation. Now the wire comes out of the contact tip and curls
down so I was able to weld very deep into the hole. I know, a little
welder, pushing aluminum wire (barely), through a bent contact tip, is
really pushing the envelope. But I got 'er done dammit! Now I get to
have a beer while the casting cools. Tomorrow I rebore.
Later,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 6:59:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Have two beers. You've earned them. Well done.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 16:05:45 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Just out of curiosity..why didnt you bore the hole to 1.5", (shrink)
in an aluminum plug, weld it in..then rebore through the virgin metal
in the proper location?

Would have been a lot easier and taken only a fraction of the time.

Just wondering....

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Cool, and a hearty "Well Done, Suh."

P.S: Do you have another contact tip so you can still use the steel
wire next time, I hope? You'll want to leave that one as-is, for the
next time you Mick^H^H^H^Hinnovate a new tool.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

prodded the keyboard with:

[...]

Why didn't you just turn a plug, press it in and then re-drill the
hole.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 11:49:44 +0000, Baron
wrote:

prodded the keyboard with:

[...]

Why bother? What's an eighth of an inch, among friends? :/

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 06:10:20 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 11:49:44 +0000, Baron
wrote:

prodded the keyboard with:

[...]

About an hour or 2?

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 19:39:17 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

I have several contact tips of different sizes for both steel and
aluminum wire.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 11:49:44 +0000, Baron
wrote:

prodded the keyboard with:

[...]

Because of the way the part is made there wasn't room for that option.
There is part of the casting that protrudes from the bottom and the
hole was so far out that it actually started to break through in one
place. Furthermore, if I was to open the hole enough for a sleeve to
have sufficient wall thickness it would have cut into another area
that was not damaged. The customer agreed that in this case welding
was best.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:48:17 -0700, wrote:

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 11:49:44 +0000, Baron
wrote:

prodded the keyboard with:

[...]

Ok, that makes sense.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

on Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:48:17 -0700 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 11:49:44 +0000, Baron
wrote:

prodded the keyboard with:

[...]

Well, dang - there was a rational reason for doing it that way
after all!

Have fun.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

prodded the keyboard with:

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 11:49:44 +0000, Baron
wrote:

prodded the keyboard with:

[...]

That is a very good reason :-) Thanks

--