Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spindle Spline Socket

I'm working on a project that would greatly benefit from a spindle spline
socket. I can make one, but I've learned my lesson about just making
something because I can. I only do that now if I can't wait for the part or
tool. My time is better spent making custom parts instead. Anyway, I would
like to find a socket with the same spline pattern as the 28mm end of this
wrench. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Spin...-Wrench/T26307 I
figure there is no point spending time modeling and making one if it already
exists for a reasonable price somewhere.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-02-07, Bob La Londe wrote:
I'm working on a project that would greatly benefit from a spindle spline
socket. I can make one, but I've learned my lesson about just making
something because I can. I only do that now if I can't wait for the part or
tool. My time is better spent making custom parts instead. Anyway, I would
like to find a socket with the same spline pattern as the 28mm end of this
wrench. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Spin...-Wrench/T26307 I
figure there is no point spending time modeling and making one if it already
exists for a reasonable price somewhere.

What are the odds that there is a matching spline either in the
back end of some auto transmissions (e.g. there was such a spline in the
back of a BMW-2002's transmission to connect it to the drive shaft.
Other possibilities would be autos with independent rear suspension, and
a spline in the half-shafts between the constant velocity universals to
allow adjustment (if the axles are not swing axles).

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2015-02-07, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Well, that's an option. A rather innovative one, but I think it might be
faster just to go ahead and machine the needed socket.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 5:36:33 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I'm working on a project that would greatly benefit from a spindle spline
socket. ...with the same spline pattern as the 28mm end of this
wrench. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Spin...-Wrench/T26307

That spline (on the spindle of a drill press or mill) engages the drive pulley.
So, can you buy a drive pulley and use its hub for your socket? Should be
easy to rivet or braze a handle to it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 5:36:33 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I'm working on a project that would greatly benefit from a spindle spline
socket. ...with the same spline pattern as the 28mm end of this
wrench. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Spin...-Wrench/T26307

That spline (on the spindle of a drill press or mill) engages the drive
pulley.
So, can you buy a drive pulley and use its hub for your socket? Should be
easy to rivet or braze a handle to it.

That's a good easy to find off the shelf solution. If I recall the belt
drive I will be installing on the ZX45 comes with its spindle drive pulley.
If so I'll have a spare soon too. Not sure how practical it will be in the
space I want to put it in, but its certainly worth a look.

Spindle nose adapter for Delta-Rockwell 11" lathe (#25-100) with L-00 spindle Dan Allen Metalworking 7 April 3rd 14 05:12 PM
Making a spline Matty F UK diy 22 September 27th 13 08:25 PM
17 spline shaft [email protected] Metalworking 6 August 12th 11 11:21 PM
spline jig Patt Woodworking 2 December 20th 06 12:41 PM
spline cuts Patt Woodworking 3 August 6th 06 02:17 AM