Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fluorescent lighting question

Apparently I need to replace the ballast in one of my F96T12HO 2 lamp
overhead fixture. Don't want to change the fixture, as it's very nice,
sparkproof, and currently have 8 of these in my garage. They all have 95
watt bulbs in them. Went all around town, SOL, only 110 watt bulbs with
the correct ends.

So I bought those and installed. They light up bright, but flicker
badly. Ballast buzzes slightly, but the same as all the other good
lights. Garage temp was 35 degrees F.

Have not tried installing the 110 Watt bulbs in a good fixture yet. I
have been told that 110 watt was the only option for the HO until they
came out with the 95 watt energy saving bulbs, which are locally
unavailable to me, and that my ballast should handle the 110 watters.

Is it possible my ballast is good, and cannot handle the higher output
bulbs? What kind of rating should I look for on the ballast in the
fixture? I looked at it earlier, but don't remember. If I am SOL on the
95 Watt bulbs, can someone recommend an inexpensive replacement
electronic ballast, and a source, as I will be changing all eight
eventually, as they expire?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Steve
Walker wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the fixture isn't designed for 35 F. If you let it run a
while, does the flickering subside and stop? I have such fixtures in
my unheated attic, and the lamps do flicker for a while.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/t...rescent-tubes/

Or the better option

Do a few changes and use these in those fixtures.
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/t8-led-bulbs/

I swapped all my shop over to
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/11...l#BVRRWidgetID
It's like walking into an operating room now.

--
Steve W.

lighting update and a question about fluorescent starters Fred UK diy 7 December 7th 12 04:18 PM
fluorescent lighting bad for you?? sparty Home Repair 17 April 11th 06 12:28 AM
Fluorescent lighting Mark Spice UK diy 4 February 8th 06 09:33 AM
Fluorescent lighting question rickm Home Repair 13 October 28th 04 11:56 PM
Fluorescent lighting? Schism Home Repair 13 June 22nd 04 02:00 AM