Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help me catch THIEVES that are in this VIDEO

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 03:35:25 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 12:27:32 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 14:58:14 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
I purchased an alarm co from an old guy who was still doing window
foil and running the systems with B batteries with a pair of wires
down to the local police department. I got pretty darned good putting
window foil on glass for a few years. Still have the tools and a few
thousand feet of foil..though my muslage glue is all dried up and Im
not sure to to get it anymore....

Lead, or aluminum foil? I repaired some lead on a few sites.

The glue was made from horse hide, but I'm sure that you could boil
down a fat liberal editor or two for some fresh stock.

No, he wanted horse hide glue, not whore's hide.

What? It's too sticky?

Probably that and/or too slippery.

Make sure they aren't moldy before you boil them down, to avoid that
problem.

IIRC, the last time I saw foil applied (1967) the tech. used shelac on
the glass, then over the lead foil.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Ayup..or mucilage with the rubber tip.

Later on they came out with a sticky backed foil and a rather neat
(but frustrating) foil applicator that you could do radius curves and
lots of other designs with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Alar...-/111545714359

Ill find a pic of one of the applicator "machines" and post it.

Gunner

---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 03:35:25 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 12:27:32 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?
?? ?Larry Jaques wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 14:58:14 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ?? ? wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ?Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

That took a lot longer to dry. A glue was used for repairs. Some
lazy SOBs simply taped a piece of foil over the damage. You can imagine
how long that would work.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 02:35:37 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 03:35:25 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 12:27:32 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?
?? ?Larry Jaques wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 14:58:14 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ?? ? wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ?Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

If you were careful..it could be repaired 2 ways...carefuly sand off
the coating (shellac or glue) and then take a piece of brand new foil
and lay it over the freshly sanded existing foil..roll with a hard
roller and then shellac over the splice..but one had to use 3" or so
inches of new foil over freshly sanded existing foil to get a good
long term reliable connection. Use of a little tool that had teeth on
it and rolled over the join helped. Like a line roller for leather
work. Hit the entire splice with this a few times and it seemed to
work pretty well.

The other way was to solder it together. Given that you were doing
this on glass....it took some real technique to get a good splice. Im
trying to remember..there was some very low temp solder bearing flux
type material that one could use with a simple soldering iron and a
wide flat tip..but if you ****ed up..you started lifting big pieces of
the original tape line. Its been nearly 30 yrs since I laid out a
window with foil..though I was pretty good at it.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 02:35:37 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
wrote:
??
?? On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 03:35:25 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?
?? ?Larry Jaques wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 12:27:32 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ?? ? wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ?Larry Jaques wrote:
?? ?? ??
?? ?? ?? On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 14:58:14 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ?? ?? ? wrote:
?? ?? ??
?? ?? ?? ?Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Yes, and it's been about 40 years for me.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Darn thieves! Cory[_2_] Home Repair 40 November 28th 10 01:50 AM
Darn thieves JP Home Repair 1 November 25th 10 06:42 PM
OT Bargaining with thieves Wes[_2_] Metalworking 8 September 16th 09 12:01 AM
OT Bargaining with thieves William Wixon Metalworking 2 September 13th 09 01:13 AM
Help identify this vehicle and catch some thieves. The Natural Philosopher UK diy 51 May 8th 05 04:10 PM