Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting aluminum caused miter saw to jam

Using an Irwin Marples 80 tooth blade, cutting 1/8" L-shaped aluminum
angle bar. After completing one of the cuts, the small piece got caught
on the blade. The blade force bent the 1/8 inch thick aluminum. I
inspected the 80 tooth blade tooth by tooth and found nothing wrong with
it except what looked like a scuff mark on the side near two of the
teeth.

Do blades ever get bent out of shape by such a collision?

I just figured that next time I will try using packaging tape to
hopefully prevent the small cut off piece of aluminum from falling into
the blade. Might be better to have some sort of elastic tape to provide
a little tension with that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe prodded the keyboard

Using an Irwin Marples 80 tooth blade, cutting 1/8" L-shaped
aluminum angle bar. After completing one of the cuts, the small
piece got caught on the blade. The blade force bent the 1/8 inch
thick aluminum. I inspected the 80 tooth blade tooth by tooth and
found nothing wrong with it except what looked like a scuff mark on
the side near two of the teeth.

I assume that this is a TCT blade !
The full width of the blade must be supported when cutting !
You cannot safely cut thin slices, the blade will dish and bind. Some
kind of lubricant is needed and the faster you try to cut the bigger
bite the blade will try to take. On thicker sections heat causing
the blade to dish is your enemy.

Do blades ever get bent out of shape by such a collision?

They can ! But HSS blades tend to loose teeth. The disk of TCT blades
is soft by comparison.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In this particular case, the cut was finished before the aluminum piece
moved into the miter saw blade.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe prodded the keyboard

In this particular case, the cut was finished before the aluminum
piece moved into the miter saw blade.

In that case, wait for the blade to stop before lifting it out of the
cut.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Baron wrote in :

John Doe prodded the keyboard

In this particular case, the cut was finished before the aluminum
piece moved into the miter saw blade.

In that case, wait for the blade to stop before lifting it out of the
cut.

I thought I did. Besides the Google search results about that before
starting, such a collision (even when doing it properly) makes obvious
why it should be done that way.

Also stood to one side of the blade while cutting. The way the 1/8 inch
thick aluminum was bent suggests some serious force.

I will use some tape or some other device to keep the small pieces from
moving into the blade next time.

Cutting steel w/ a circular saw.... Cutting Aluminum Stock Larry Jaques[_2_] Metalworking 0 April 18th 10 10:04 PM
Miter cutting Daryl Woodworking 7 November 25th 08 01:14 PM
Cutting Aluminum with Miter Saw???? evodawg[_2_] Woodworking 12 August 16th 08 09:30 PM
Cutting aluminum with carbide wood cutting blade on tablesaw mc Metalworking 16 March 1st 06 06:20 AM
Cutting aluminum with carbide wood cutting blade on tablesaw mc Woodworking 17 March 1st 06 06:20 AM