Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why I wanted info about strain gauges

All,
I have been designing a new type of tapping head aimed at small shops
with older equipment. It is designed to keep taps from breaking, it
detects missing, short or undersize holes, and it does windows. Well,
it doesn't really do windows. Anyway, I thought that as long as I was
making something that did all that it would be neat if it could report
on dull taps too. I may be able to use clutch pressure to arrive at
some torque number but I don't know how the clutch material behaves
over time, if the pressure will change significantly over time for the
same torque. The tapping head will easily handle #2 to 1/4 inch taps
in soft and hard materials. I think it will even handle taps as small
as #0. Experiments show that I am able to use it to tap #0-80 holes in
steel without breaking taps but I am not yet convinced that a machine
tool will be able to. When I'm tapping there is some feel whereas a
CNC machine will only feed the tap at the programmed speed. I was
hoping that some sort of strain gauge applied to some sort of rotating
shaft subjected to some amount of torque might be pretty
straightforward and cheap. It is not. But thanks for the replies
anyway, I really appreciate it.
Cheers,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 17:04:20 -0800, wrote:

[...]

How are you going to tell (each and every time) the "smart tapping
head" which material, what treatment/coating, what thickness, what
size, what thread class, roll-formed or cut, etc, Eric?

http://tapmatic.com/images/pdf/Tappi...tions%20HB.pdf

And as Lloyd asked, "cheap"? g

--
H.L. Mencken wrote in the American Mercury, April 1924, that the aim
of public education is not to fill the young of the species with

LJ sez: Thankfully, the teachers back then didn't allow that to happen.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 19:45:10 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 17:04:20 -0800, wrote:

All,
I have been designing a new type of tapping head aimed at small shops
with older equipment. It is designed to keep taps from breaking, it
detects missing, short or undersize holes, and it does windows. Well,
it doesn't really do windows.

Good! Please limit it to Linux.

H.L. Mencken wrote in the American Mercury, April 1924, that the aim
of public education is not to fill the young of the species with
knowledge and awaken their intelligence. Nothing could be further
from the truth. The aim is simply to reduce as many individuals as
possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized
citizenry to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the
U.S. and that is its aim everywhere else.

LJ sez: Thankfully, the teachers back then didn't allow that to happen.

Mencken had it right. Back then, that's exactly what they *did* aim
for. And it continued through most of the 1960s. They're still
struggling to escape it.

"It wasn't until 1918 that nationwide compulsory education was in
place.

"Part of the rationale used to sell this major transformation to
industrialists was the idea that educated kids would actually become
more compliant and productive workers. Our current system of teaching
kids to sit in straight rows and obey instructions isn't a
coincidence--it was an investment in our economic future. The plan:
trade short-term child-labor wages for longer-term productivity by
giving kids a head start in doing what they're told."

That's Seth Godin, in one of his TED talks. But you could read a good
history of how education was shaped by the Industrial Revolution and
you'd see the same thing. Educator-leaders at that time *overtly*
explained that the new compulsory education was designed to produce
obedient, compliant workers for the industrial age.

The problem is not how kids are being taught today, Larry. The problem
is how YOU were taught. Now you resent it (rightly) but you carry with
you the seeds that were planted in you then, using that to judge what
education is struggling to become now, and through that lens you see
the opposite of what is there -- because you haven't escaped the way
you were taught.

It's not an easy thing to do. You can recognize it, though, when you
hear someone who was schooled in the compliant age grumbling about
"education today."

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ed , do you know anyone that is in education ? The current crop of
teachers is heavily invessted in making the kids into compliant little
sheeples that will do whatever they're told by any "authority figure" . They
don't want these kids able to think for themselves , just do what you're
told .
My wife was guilty of making the kids she taught want to learn and grow and
think for themselves , and it got her fired . Last straw was when she was
attempting to gain national certification , her then-principle did
everything he could to block that . And then created a situation that he
used to fire her .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

How did each states' high school valedictorian manage to disobey and get away from those conspiracies then?

By being exceptional people who recognized it and rejected it. That's
how most who escaped did so.

(I guess there is always one kid in each state each year that rises above all that)

There are many more than that. But, for the most part, it's been very
effective at turning out compliant people.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My wife and most of her friends.

The current crop of
teachers is heavily invessted in making the kids into compliant little
sheeples that will do whatever they're told by any "authority figure" . They
don't want these kids able to think for themselves , just do what you're
told .

That's the opposite of the case here. Teachers are rebelling against
all of the conformist program. Here in NJ, there is an uproar over
"Common Core" and the rest of the compliance nonsense. There is a lot
of teacher/administrator tension and there are a lot of discouraged
teachers.

My wife was guilty of making the kids she taught want to learn and grow and
think for themselves , and it got her fired . Last straw was when she was
attempting to gain national certification , her then-principle did
everything he could to block that . And then created a situation that he
used to fire her .

Too many school administrators are pricks.

--
Snag

--
Ed Huntress