Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need help looking for locking hood latches for a heavy duty tilt front truck

I am doing some repair work for a tree service company and they want
me to fabricate some kind of lock for the hoods and fuel tanks on
their bucket trucks. One of which is a Ford L8000 (Ithink). I do
not want to reinvent the wheel, someone has to make this stuff
already.

Fuel tank looks to be a 2" pipe thread with a simple aluminum cap.

Hoods are tilt front style. with the rubber strap hold downs.

Google searches do dot give me what I'm looking for, maybe I got the
wrong search words???

Thanks
Randy
Remove 333 to reply
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/14/2014 3:49 PM, Randy333 wrote:
I am doing some repair work for a tree service company and they want
me to fabricate some kind of lock for the hoods and fuel tanks on
their bucket trucks. One of which is a Ford L8000 (Ithink). I do
not want to reinvent the wheel, someone has to make this stuff
already.

Fuel tank looks to be a 2" pipe thread with a simple aluminum cap.

Hoods are tilt front style. with the rubber strap hold downs.

Google searches do dot give me what I'm looking for, maybe I got the
wrong search words???

Thanks
Randy
Remove 333 to reply

Look for "over-center" latches of the hood. Plenty of Google images!
Sorry, can't help with the fuel tank cap.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy333 wrote:
I am doing some repair work for a tree service company and they want
me to fabricate some kind of lock for the hoods and fuel tanks on
their bucket trucks. One of which is a Ford L8000 (Ithink). I do
not want to reinvent the wheel, someone has to make this stuff
already.

Fuel tank looks to be a 2" pipe thread with a simple aluminum cap.

Hoods are tilt front style. with the rubber strap hold downs.

Google searches do dot give me what I'm looking for, maybe I got the
wrong search words???

Thanks
Randy
Remove 333 to reply

I've seen a lot of locking caps for those tanks. Most look like a
standard cap with a key slot.

http://www.12volt-travel.com/fuel-oil-caps-c-9_659.html

On the hood they use conventional style hood pins with holes for padlocks.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 18:49:17 -0500, Randy333
wrote:

I am doing some repair work for a tree service company and they want
me to fabricate some kind of lock for the hoods and fuel tanks on
their bucket trucks. One of which is a Ford L8000 (Ithink). I do
not want to reinvent the wheel, someone has to make this stuff
already.

Fuel tank looks to be a 2" pipe thread with a simple aluminum cap.

spicy meatball
http://tinyurl.com/kpz9j6p
less expensive
http://tinyurl.com/kmegkeg

Hoods are tilt front style. with the rubber strap hold downs.

http://tinyurl.com/lc5622a
http://tinyurl.com/kuk2acs

overcenter locking latches
http://tinyurl.com/l9aklbu
http://tinyurl.com/latq58n
http://tinyurl.com/k7we5ln

Google searches do dot give me what I'm looking for, maybe I got the
wrong search words???

Thanks
Randy
Remove 333 to reply

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am doing some repair work for a tree service company and they want
me to fabricate some kind of lock for the hoods and fuel tanks on
their bucket trucks. One of which is a Ford L8000 (Ithink). I do
not want to reinvent the wheel, someone has to make this stuff
already.

Fuel tank looks to be a 2" pipe thread with a simple aluminum cap.

spicy meatball
http://tinyurl.com/kpz9j6p
less expensive
http://tinyurl.com/kmegkeg

The pricey one is brass, someone will steal that just cause it's
brass. The other looks like a winner!

Hoods are tilt front style. with the rubber strap hold downs.

http://tinyurl.com/lc5622a
http://tinyurl.com/kuk2acs

overcenter locking latches
http://tinyurl.com/l9aklbu
http://tinyurl.com/latq58n
http://tinyurl.com/k7we5ln

None of these look good. What do they do for semi's in New York?

Google searches do dot give me what I'm looking for, maybe I got the
wrong search words???

Thanks
Randy
Remove 333 to reply

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 15:25:03 -0500, Randy333
wrote:

SNIP
None of these look good. What do they do for semi's in New York?

/SNIP

There are aftermarket hood locks available that may work,
but it may also be kludge time.

Hoods are made of relatively light sheet metal, and thus are
subject to prying, therefore reinforcement may be indicated.
It should be possible to combine a reinforcing strap [3/16?]
with a welded tab with a hole that will match up with a
similar reinforcing strap w/tab mounted to the body or
fender using pop rivets or carriage bolts with the smooth
head out. The tabs would need to overlap when closed such
that a padlock would fit through the holes to secure. Be
advised that the padlocks are subject to vandalism by the
thwarted individuals, for example by squirting them with
super glue.

It may be better to install an alarm system, possibly using
a vibration detector in addition to the hood switches, the
problem being the drivers must remember to turn the system
on.

There are also some automotive type cable/electric
latches/locks that would deter casual/oportunistic
pilfering.
http://tinyurl.com/ou2g3ye
http://tinyurl.com/onko33p
http://tinyurl.com/ns9n5r7