Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Recovering the Rest of the Material From the Spray Can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBOqujZXUgI

Practical uses for air guns. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:30:35 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBOqujZXUgI

Practical uses for air guns. LOL.

Worth a chuckle. I would just wrap a shop-rag around an awl and push
it through...

You've see Bob's rattle can adapter haven't you?

===
Bob Engelhardt - 12/4/10

My version:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...anAdapter2.jpg
===
It has been posted several times. He used it to repressure paint cans
with a propane bottle. Was in this discussion/thread for one:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.crafts.metalworking/"spray$20can"$20repressure/rec.crafts.metalworking/t_yer8lTjjo/yE0q-konj6kJ

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBOqujZXUgI

Practical uses for air guns. LOL.

Worth a chuckle. I would just wrap a shop-rag around an awl and push
it through...

You've see Bob's rattle can adapter haven't you?

===
Bob Engelhardt - 12/4/10

My version:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...anAdapter2.jpg
===
It has been posted several times. He used it to repressure paint cans
with a propane bottle. Was in this discussion/thread for one:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.crafts.metalworking/"spray$20can"$20repressure/rec.crafts.metalworking/t_yer8lTjjo/yE0q-konj6kJ

Depress nozzle on can, apply rubber tipped blow gun and add compressed
air. Done.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBOqujZXUgI

Practical uses for air guns. LOL.

Worth a chuckle. I would just wrap a shop-rag around an awl and push
it through...

You've see Bob's rattle can adapter haven't you?

===
Bob Engelhardt - 12/4/10

My version:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...anAdapter2.jpg
===
It has been posted several times. He used it to repressure paint cans
with a propane bottle. Was in this discussion/thread for one:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.crafts.metalworking/"spray$20can"$20repressure/rec.crafts.metalworking/t_yer8lTjjo/yE0q-konj6kJ

Depress nozzle on can, apply rubber tipped blow gun and add compressed
air. Done.

At least for WD40, oils and solvents. Air might might make paint harden
in the can, so propane might have an advantage there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBOqujZXUgI

Practical uses for air guns. LOL.

Worth a chuckle. I would just wrap a shop-rag around an awl and push
it through...

You've see Bob's rattle can adapter haven't you?

===
Bob Engelhardt - 12/4/10

My version:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...anAdapter2.jpg

You can do a similar thing with Butane lighter refill adapters.
I like the lower pressure of Butane.

Could probably do the same thing with "canned air", but I've never
tried it.

I have a dead can of hornet spray. Was all set to put some Butane
in it...then got to thinking how it would feel when the can of poison
exploded in my face.

Some things aren't worth the risk of fixing 'em. ;-)

===
It has been posted several times. He used it to repressure paint cans
with a propane bottle. Was in this discussion/thread for one:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.crafts.metalworking/"spray$20can"$20repressure/rec.crafts.metalworking/t_yer8lTjjo/yE0q-konj6kJ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

[...]

How about using your argon? Everybody has argon around the shop.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/12/2014 3:34 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:
Depress nozzle on can, apply rubber tipped blow gun and add compressed
air. Done.

The advantage of propane is that it's liquid and maintains a constant
pressure that is its vapor pressure. Until the very end, of course.
With air, or any gas, the pressure will decrease as it's used.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 11/12/2014 3:34 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:
Depress nozzle on can, apply rubber tipped blow gun and add
compressed
air. Done.

The advantage of propane is that it's liquid and maintains a
constant pressure that is its vapor pressure. Until the very end,
of course. With air, or any gas, the pressure will decrease as it's
used.

Bob

The disadvantage is that its pressure depends on how well it dissolves
in the liquid in the can, and the relative quantities of product and
propane which you can't easily determine or control.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raoult's_law
"If a non-volatile solute (zero vapor pressure, does not evaporate) is
dissolved into a solvent to form an ideal solution, the vapor pressure
of the final solution will be lower than that of the pure solvent."

If it doesn't dissolve the pressure may exceed 200 PSI.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pr...re-d_1020.html

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/13/2014 6:54 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
The advantage of propane is that it's liquid and maintains a
constant pressure that is its vapor pressure. ...

The disadvantage is that its pressure depends on how well it dissolves
in the liquid in the can, ...

I had never thought about that. Yet, you're putting 2 liquids in a can,
one could dissolve in the other. But it's moot if the original
propellant was propane, which I assume it was. Moot because you're just
doing what the factory did.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/13/2014 4:13 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

That holds true with C02 as well, but pressure does fluctuate with
temperature.

Well, yeah but ... the vapor pressure of CO2 at room temperature is
about 900 psi, IIRC. Whereas for propane it's 100 psi, again IIRC.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 11/13/2014 4:13 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

That holds true with C02 as well, but pressure does fluctuate with
temperature.

Well, yeah but ... the vapor pressure of CO2 at room temperature is
about 900 psi, IIRC. Whereas for propane it's 100 psi, again IIRC.

The vapor pressure of CO2 dissolved in soda water is much lower, as is
that of acetylene dissolved in acetone. Unless you make a connecting
hose with a pressure gauge and shutoff valve you don't know how much
pressure the can should have, or how much you are adding.

When I did this in college I tested the pressure by denting the can
with my thumb, which I can just barely do at the original factory
pressure. I used a little fitting that jammed into the stem of one can
and sealed with a taper in the stem of the other, and pressed them
together with the butane on top.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

[...]

I'm still entranced by the fact that I have air at 100psi!
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada