Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some pictures

of the tractor and the small containers I've been making .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07-Nov-14 10:44 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
of the tractor and the small containers I've been making .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Very neat. I wonder how they would come up anodised or that finish that
is done using polishing paste & a piece of wooden dowel in the drill press.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 12:28:50 +0800, Shed_Fiddler
wrote:

On 07-Nov-14 10:44 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
of the tractor and the small containers I've been making .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Very neat. I wonder how they would come up anodised or that finish that
is done using polishing paste & a piece of wooden dowel in the drill press.

You mean "engine turned"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 08:44:22 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

of the tractor and the small containers I've been making .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

NICE!!!

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 07-Nov-14 10:44 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
of the tractor and the small containers I've been making .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Very neat. I wonder how they would come up anodised or that finish
that
is done using polishing paste & a piece of wooden dowel in the drill
press. You mean "engine turned"

The guy who is marketing them is an engraver/jeweler , does some very nice
work . After I read this earlier I looked at Cratex sticks on ebay ...

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 15:23:41 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

On 07-Nov-14 10:44 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
of the tractor and the small containers I've been making .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Very neat. I wonder how they would come up anodised or that finish
that
is done using polishing paste & a piece of wooden dowel in the drill
press. You mean "engine turned"

The guy who is marketing them is an engraver/jeweler , does some very nice
work . After I read this earlier I looked at Cratex sticks on ebay ..

To help you communicate with the jeweler, machinists call it "engine
turning." Jewelers call it "damaskeening.".

I have some experience with this. You'll probably want to chuck 'way
down on the Cratex sticks, so little is sticking out of the chuck
jaws.

I prefer to glue a round "dot" of leather on the end of a dowel, or a
steel rod for very small sizes, and then keep dipping it in abrasive
as needed. I have several grades of silicon carbide and alox that I
use for this.

In the past, I used to stick dots of wet/dry sandpaper to the end of
the dowel. But they wear out fast. To cut the dots, I have an
extensive set of hole punches. If you don't have them, making dots is
a PITA.

Happy engine turning.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
To help you communicate with the jeweler, machinists call it "engine
turning." Jewelers call it "damaskeening.".
Ed Huntress

We call it that, because "engine turning" is done with an engine turning
machine.
It is an engraving process that carves the pattern in the surface of the
metal with a engraving tool moved back and forth, left and right, in and
out, by a series of cams The machines are either a circular rose engine ,
like a lathe, or straightline, like a planer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rose... ning+machine+

A brief explanation (pg 14)
http://technical-journal.thegoldsmit...lletin-No7.pdf

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 18:04:57 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
To help you communicate with the jeweler, machinists call it "engine
turning." Jewelers call it "damaskeening.".
Ed Huntress

We call it that, because "engine turning" is done with an engine turning
machine.
It is an engraving process that carves the pattern in the surface of the
metal with a engraving tool moved back and forth, left and right, in and
out, by a series of cams The machines are either a circular rose engine ,
like a lathe, or straightline, like a planer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rose... ning+machine+

A brief explanation (pg 14)
http://technical-journal.thegoldsmit...lletin-No7.pdf

Paul K. Dickman

Oh, wow. Making of the the smaller, simpler versions of one of those
machines would be a great long-term project for a serious hobbyist.

IIRC, you may have brought this up before? I think I remember seeing
those pen bodies, right?

BTW, somewhere in the world there is a Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR with a
100% engine-turned body ("engine turned" as we mortals use the term --
the overlapping circles are perhaps 1-1/2 in. diameter). I saw it once
on TV and then could never find out anything about it.

This is the car without the fancy decoration:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/show.php?num=1370

Number 722 was the one that Stirling Moss drove to win the 1955 Mille
Miglia -- the last one ever raced.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

of the tractor and the small containers I've been making .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

NICE!

Strong and beefy, too, without being un-dainty.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 07-Nov-14 10:44 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
of the tractor and the small containers I've been making .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Very neat. I wonder how they would come up anodised or that finish
that
is done using polishing paste & a piece of wooden dowel in the drill
press. You mean "engine turned"

The guy who is marketing them is an engraver/jeweler , does some very nice
work . After I read this earlier I looked at Cratex sticks on ebay ...

Cratex is available in many many shapes, sizes and forms From Dremal
tool bits up to 8" surface grinder sizes

Good stuff!

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

of the tractor and the small containers I've been making .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

NICE!

Strong and beefy, too, without being un-dainty.

DAINTY ?! Dainty ? Why I oughta ... oh , wait , were you referring to the
tractor or the little containers ?
Next step with the tractor is an oil change - right after I swap out the
hydraulic disconnects .
--
Snag
Did some other metalworking this morning , accelerated a small metal

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

of the tractor and the small containers I've been making .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

NICE!

Strong and beefy, too, without being un-dainty.

DAINTY ?! Dainty ? Why I oughta ... oh , wait , were you referring to the
tractor or the little containers ?

Oh, your sweet little _extremely_ feminine containers, of course. It's
simply fabulous that you can run your female energy like that, dear.
wink

Next step with the tractor is an oil change - right after I swap out the
hydraulic disconnects .

Yeah, good idea. I always run vehicles up to temperature and change
that old stuff if they've been sitting at all. It helps with removing
more of the moisture and contaminants.