Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Screw compressor oil

I have an old Sullair tow behind screw compressor, powered by a
John Deere diesel engine.

The compressor oil in it appears to be all dirty.

I have a can of 5 gallon of "Kaeser Sigma 460" screw compressor
oil. Would such an oil work in this Sullair screw compressor? How
specialized are those oils?

I would prefer not to spend money buying new screw compressor oil, it
is expensive.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10120 wrote:
I have an old Sullair tow behind screw compressor, powered by a
John Deere diesel engine.

The compressor oil in it appears to be all dirty.

I have a can of 5 gallon of "Kaeser Sigma 460" screw compressor
oil. Would such an oil work in this Sullair screw compressor? How
specialized are those oils?

I would prefer not to spend money buying new screw compressor oil, it
is expensive.

Thanks

Screw compressor oils are VERY specific.
Contact Sullair and get the book for the machine.
It will tell you the allowable oils.
Use the wrong weight or base stocks and you can easily score the rotor
seals and damage the scrolls.

I just wandered over to http://www.compressorparts.com/
They show 8 different oils for Sullair screw airheads. Looked up the
sullair numbers. None of them are the same viscosity as the oil you have.

My old Atlas Copco uses a synthetic 5W-20.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gee, what did compressor oil ever do to you!

Mikek :-)

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 08:21:57 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ignoramus10120 wrote:
[...]

GOOD advice!!!

Gunner