Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Split phase motor question

Tim said I should post this here also:
I have an old split phase induction motor that runs quite well.
Especially considering the fact that it is at least 60 years old. But
it makes a funny sound when running but the sound disappears
immediately whe power is removed. It sounds like something is a little
loose. Sorta like if the shaft was oscillating back and forth between
the thrust bearings. But it is not that. My son suggested that maybe
one of the windings is loose and rattles a little back and forth when
the polarity of the AC voltage changes. Anybody got a clue?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Oct 2014 21:32:29 +0000 (UTC), Hul Tytus
wrote:

Eric - I've a similar sound that started recently - tinny vibration as
though the sheet metal in the start switching mechanism is loose? If you
find an answer, do post it.

Hul

I will post any answers I get.
Eric

wrote:
Tim said I should post this here also:
I have an old split phase induction motor that runs quite well.
Especially considering the fact that it is at least 60 years old. But
it makes a funny sound when running but the sound disappears
immediately whe power is removed. It sounds like something is a little
loose. Sorta like if the shaft was oscillating back and forth between
the thrust bearings. But it is not that. My son suggested that maybe
one of the windings is loose and rattles a little back and forth when
the polarity of the AC voltage changes. Anybody got a clue?
Thanks,
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5:38:38 PM UTC-4, Hul Tytus wrote:
Eric - When reading your message I translated "split phase" to "capacitor

start". Some days.

60 year old motor? Maybe induction-start induction-run.

3 phase motor wiring question [email protected] Metalworking 6 November 14th 08 08:53 PM
profit-motive question: single phase adapter for 3-phase motor drives gwes Metalworking 8 October 5th 07 08:33 PM
split phase motor winta Woodturning 1 April 11th 07 01:52 PM
3-phase used for 1-phase (split-phase) power SRK Home Repair 9 July 22nd 06 11:01 AM
3 phase motor question??? chipsmith Woodworking 7 August 7th 03 03:32 PM