Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Quill Rebuild

I just got a new (used - new to me) quill for my KMB1 that isn't badly
scored like the old one. It didn't feel buttery smooth so I decided to take
it apart and at the very least clean and re-kluber-grease the bearings.

I have not washed the grease and dirt out of the bearings, but one of the
ACBs doesn't feel wonderful to me. I figured as long as I have it apart I
might as well replace all the bearings if they don't cost to much.

On the back its got a Fafnir 206PP. Seems to be pretty easy to find.

On the nose its got a pair of New Departure 20207 ACBs. Those also seem to
be modestly easy to find. What got me is they don't seem to be a matched
set or anything. There are no alignment marks and they are both marked
identically. They are just back to back against the spacers.

It does have both inner race and outer race spacers between the ACBs and an
inner race spacer between the ACBs and the rear bearing so preload is pretty
much predetermined.

None of these bearings are particularly expensive. Seem like an off the
shelf bearing, although most I found are new old stock rather than new
stock.

Am I missing something? Is it really just as simple as it seems? Just buy
a couple New Departure 20207s and a Fafnir 206PP and press all the new parts
back in place?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:53:16 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

Ayup..pretty much. Just make sure you put them in the same way you
took it apart. I didnt check..but angular contact loading
direction......is rather "important" to get right

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke