Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 25' Capri sailboat on ebay..currently at $510 with 1.5 days to go

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 23:32:41 -0500, Richard
wrote:

Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people
will:

1. tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
2. fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
3. fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
4. recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, /if/
they are exposed to training for that skill.

^5 Richard. Well stated!

Introspection is a marvelous thing. Im forced to do it regularly and I
think it makes me a better person for it. Though it is a bitter taste.

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default competency and the "good life" was some thing about a boat

Gunner Asch on Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:56:36 -0700
wrote:

Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people
will:

1. tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
2. fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
3. fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
4. recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, /if/
they are exposed to training for that skill.

^5 Richard. Well stated!

Introspection is a marvelous thing. Im forced to do it regularly and I
think it makes me a better person for it. Though it is a bitter taste.

There is a statement by Aristotle that the happiness is not
"pleasure" but comes from knowing that one is living a "good life"
I.e., a life of excellence. Which does require that one regularly ask
of oneself "Am I doing the best which I am capable of doing?"
To paraphrase Socrates: The unexamined life may not be worth
living, but you do have a lot more free time.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

In this group plenty of others will be happy to share their opinion of
how you are doing.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:02:09
.. .
wrote:

[...]

True enough, but the operative phrase is "Their Opinion". I'm of
the understanding that I can be sure of, at most, only one individual,
and that is myself. In this universe of one - I am the chief amongst
sinners. How others are doing, I can't really say, for I cannot be
certain of what battles they may face that I cannot know. That what I
consider important, they might not (and vice versa). There is a
saying of the desert fathers, that if you are noticing the weeds in
your brother's garden, you are obviously not paying attention to your
own.
So, ... I don't have as much free time as I might otherwise. My
problem, and not theirs.

--
pyotr filipivich