Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY 45 foot cannon

Check out the video of the test firing.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/08/gu...-his-backyard/

I hope this guy can pull it off.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 00:34:53 -0800, "azotic"
wrote:

Check out the video of the test firing.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/08/gu...-his-backyard/

I hope this guy can pull it off.

Best Regards
Tom.

Years ago a guy had a contract with the Navy, I believe, to use a
cannon to launch research devices into space. As I remember it was
several times cheaper then using rockets.

I don't remember the guy's name but he later had a contract with Iraq
to build a super cannon and was assassinated in Belgium, allegedly by
the Israeli Secret Service.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Bull

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Check out the video of the test firing.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/08/gu...-his-backyard/

I hope this guy can pull it off.

Best Regards
Tom.

Years ago a guy had a contract with the Navy, I believe, to use a
cannon to launch research devices into space. As I remember it was
several times cheaper then using rockets.

I don't remember the guy's name but he later had a contract with Iraq
to build a super cannon and was assassinated in Belgium, allegedly by
the Israeli Secret Service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Bull

I hope the new guy winds up better than Bull did.

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Check out the video of the test firing.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/08/gu...-his-backyard/

I hope this guy can pull it off.

Best Regards
Tom.

Years ago a guy had a contract with the Navy, I believe, to use a
cannon to launch research devices into space. As I remember it was
several times cheaper then using rockets.

I don't remember the guy's name but he later had a contract with Iraq
to build a super cannon and was assassinated in Belgium, allegedly by
the Israeli Secret Service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Bull

Yup, that was the guy.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...supplies-space

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_gun

I've read about this stuff before. It seems like a good idea, but the consensus seems to be that "it (is) impossible to reach a stable orbit without an active payload which performs orbital correction burns to change the shape of its orbit after launch." So, the payload would have to have thrusters and delicate instrumentation but still be able to survive a 5000 G launch. Sounds difficult. Considering though the cost of conventional rockets and the orders of magnitude emissions reduction of using a cannon, this is a nice idea.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 04:28:53 -0800 (PST), robobass
wrote:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...supplies-space

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_gun

I've read about this stuff before. It seems like a good idea, but the consensus seems to be that "it (is) impossible to reach a stable orbit without an active payload which performs orbital correction burns to change the shape of its orbit after launch." So, the payload would have to have thrusters and delicate instrumentation but still be able to survive a 5000 G launch. Sounds difficult. Considering though the cost of conventional rockets and the orders of magnitude emissions reduction of using a cannon, this is a nice idea.

How would anyone get a shot out through the miles-deep trash in
Earth's orbit nowadays, anyway? /rhetoric

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.