Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Advice on proper way to rewire bathroom light.

I am putting more mirrors and moving lights and electrical outlets for my wife/daughter's bathroom. The current wall mounted vanity lights need to go up higher. My understanding is it is not proper to put a junction box enclosed inside a wall. Is there an easier way to move this light without having to re wire from the switch to the light? The other thing is I think this light is in series with another circuit somewhere in another bathroom so whatever I do will affect other lights.

I appreciate it!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote in
:

Wrong newsgroup. Post in alt.home.repair, or mark it OT.

I am putting more mirrors and moving lights and electrical
outlets for my wife/daughter's bathroom. The current wall
mounted vanity lights need to go up higher. My understanding is
it is not proper to put a junction box enclosed inside a wall.

That is correct. Doing so is a Code violation. Junction boxes are required to be accessible.

Is there an easier way to move this light without having to re
wire from the switch to the light?

Rewiring from the switch to the light is not particularly difficult in most cases, you know.

If you're moving it farther away from the switch, since wires don't stretch, and inaccessible
junction boxes are not permitted by Code, the only alternative to rewiring is to use an
accessible junction box, located where the light is now. flush with the wall surface, and
covered with a plate that can be removed. Nothing in the Code says you can't use a
decorative plate, or paint the plate, or decorate the plate in any other way you choose --
Code just wants that plate to be removable to gain access to the wiring inside the box.

The other thing is I think
this light is in series with another circuit somewhere in
another bathroom so whatever I do will affect other lights.

If you're moving this farther away from the other lights too, then you have more rewiring to
do, or more accessible junction boxes to install.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

I am putting more mirrors and moving lights and electrical outlets for my wife/daughter's bathroom. The current wall mounted vanity lights need to go up higher. My understanding is it is not proper to put a junction box enclosed inside a wall. Is there an easier way to move this light without having to re wire from the switch to the light? The other thing is I think this light is in series with another circuit somewhere in another bathroom so whatever I do will affect other lights.

Hire an electrician, before you kill someone.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 11:45:15 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

I am putting more mirrors and moving lights and electrical outlets for my wife/daughter's bathroom.

The current wall mounted vanity lights need to go up higher. My
understanding is it is not proper to put a junction box enclosed
inside a wall. Is there an easier way to move this light without
having to re wire from the switch to the light? The other thing is I
think this light is in series with another circuit somewhere in
another bathroom so whatever I do will affect other lights.

I appreciate it!

I don't think anything else is in series with your circuit. I don't
think there are any series circuits in your house. Parallel perhaps,
not series. If wired in series then if one light burned out they would
all go out. And you couldn't use lights rated for 115 volts. Please if
you don't even understand the difference between series and parallel
then get someone who does to do the wiring changes. You must also make
sure you always connect the neutral to neutral and hot to hot.
Reversing these can cause all sorts of problems like deadly shocks.
Eric

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:

stryped wrote in
:

[...]

In many cases you can disconnect and pull back the wires from the
current box, abandon that box and install a new box in a better location
such as under a sink where it is accessible but not an eyesore. You can
then pull new wire from that new box to where you need it and the old
box that no longer contains any wiring can be abandoned and covered
over.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 17:20:20 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

stryped wrote:

I am putting more mirrors and moving lights and electrical outlets for my wife/daughter's bathroom. The current wall mounted vanity lights need to go up higher. My understanding is it is not proper to put a junction box enclosed inside a wall. Is there an easier way to move this light without having to re wire from the switch to the light? The other thing is I think this light is in series with another circuit somewhere in another bathroom so whatever I do will affect other lights.

Hire an electrician, before you kill someone.

SHHH! He's getting closer to a Darwin Award and you'll spoil it!

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

stryped wrote:

I am putting more mirrors and moving lights and electrical outlets for my wife/daughter's bathroom. The current wall mounted vanity lights need to go up higher. My understanding is it is not proper to put a junction box enclosed inside a wall. Is there an easier way to move this light without having to re wire from the switch to the light? The other thing is I think this light is in series with another circuit somewhere in another bathroom so whatever I do will affect other lights.

Hire an electrician, before you kill someone.

SHHH! He's getting closer to a Darwin Award and you'll spoil it!

He's not the only one who would die. OTOH, if his wife is his
daughter?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I am putting more mirrors and moving lights and electrical outlets for my wife/daughter's bathroom. The current wall mounted vanity lights need to go up higher. My understanding is it is not proper to put a junction box enclosed inside a wall. Is there an easier way to move this light without having to re wire from the switch to the light? The other thing is I think this light is in series with another circuit somewhere in another bathroom so whatever I do will affect other lights.

I appreciate it!

Hang a picture over the junction box.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am putting more mirrors and moving lights and electrical outlets for my wife/daughter's bathroom. The current wall mounted vanity lights need to go up higher. My understanding is it is not proper to put a junction box enclosed inside a wall. Is there an easier way to move this light without having to re wire from the switch to the light? The other thing is I think this light is in series with another circuit somewhere in another bathroom so whatever I do will affect other lights.

I appreciate it!

If they're only going straight up, you don't have to move the
electrical box up - leave them where they are.

BUT you have to punch a 2" plus hole in the back channel of the
fixture, so you can get to the splices in the junction box. File off
the burrs, and drill a hole for the box mounting screws. And make
sure the fixture pan is grounded to the wiring system.

And if you are reusing the same 'Vanity Bar' fixtures you need to
patch the original wiring hole on the backplate with a piece of
flashing sheet metal, so if it starts spitzensparks they stay
enclosed.