Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Advice on proper way to rewire bathroom light.

stryped wrote in
:

Wrong newsgroup. Post in alt.home.repair, or mark it OT.

I am putting more mirrors and moving lights and electrical
outlets for my wife/daughter's bathroom. The current wall
mounted vanity lights need to go up higher. My understanding is
it is not proper to put a junction box enclosed inside a wall.

That is correct. Doing so is a Code violation. Junction boxes are required to be accessible.

Is there an easier way to move this light without having to re
wire from the switch to the light?

Rewiring from the switch to the light is not particularly difficult in most cases, you know.

If you're moving it farther away from the switch, since wires don't stretch, and inaccessible
junction boxes are not permitted by Code, the only alternative to rewiring is to use an
accessible junction box, located where the light is now. flush with the wall surface, and
covered with a plate that can be removed. Nothing in the Code says you can't use a
decorative plate, or paint the plate, or decorate the plate in any other way you choose --
Code just wants that plate to be removable to gain access to the wiring inside the box.

The other thing is I think
this light is in series with another circuit somewhere in
another bathroom so whatever I do will affect other lights.

If you're moving this farther away from the other lights too, then you have more rewiring to
do, or more accessible junction boxes to install.