Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Nicopress (or equivalent)????

Anybody know a distributor for Nicopress sleeves, etc. in US?

I'm in need of a few Al sleeves for 4 AWG and haven't had any luck at
all locally or even online search.

Have query in to Nicopress but thought I'd see if anybody knows of
distributors....the locals have for #10 fencing wire and cables but
claim can't get anything but full lots on order of anything else...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 09:26:20 -0600, dpb wrote:

Anybody know a distributor for Nicopress sleeves, etc. in US?

I'm in need of a few Al sleeves for 4 AWG and haven't had any luck at
all locally or even online search.

Have query in to Nicopress but thought I'd see if anybody knows of
distributors....the locals have for #10 fencing wire and cables but
claim can't get anything but full lots on order of anything else...

I buy them from McMaster, and usually end up with more than I need in
small sizes. But it looks like they sell large sizes in smaller
quantities.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Anybody know a distributor for Nicopress sleeves, etc. in US?

I'm in need of a few Al sleeves for 4 AWG and haven't had any luck at all
locally or even online search.

Have query in to Nicopress but thought I'd see if anybody knows of
distributors....the locals have for #10 fencing wire and cables but claim
can't get anything but full lots on order of anything else...

You might try a telephone equipment vendor. We used to use Nicopress
sleeves on copper clad steel open wire. They probably won't have the size
you need, but they will probably know where to get some.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/30/2013 9:34 AM, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 09:26:20 -0600, wrote:

Anybody know a distributor for Nicopress sleeves, etc. in US?

I'm in need of a few Al sleeves for 4 AWG and haven't had any luck at
all locally or even online search.

Have query in to Nicopress but thought I'd see if anybody knows of
distributors....the locals have for #10 fencing wire and cables but
claim can't get anything but full lots on order of anything else...

I buy them from McMaster, and usually end up with more than I need in
small sizes. But it looks like they sell large sizes in smaller
quantities.

Unless they're somewhere on the McM/C site I'm not looking I can't find
anything except those for wire rope whereas I'm looking for UF cable
splicing--Nicopress 4AL-STR-M/P/X or equivalent. They're roughly 3" in
length instead of short as for the cable types...

http://www.nicopress.com/E2S1.htm

Hopefully, Nicopress will get back eventually. I'm trying to line up
pieces-parts to have on hand when weather warms up and ground thaws out
enough to finish digging up the line to the fountain heaters in the
feedlot that have had to have a long extension cord to keep going this
winter which has been a pita...the previous patch failed with a regular
clamp connector.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/30/2013 11:07 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
Anybody know a distributor for Nicopress sleeves, etc. in US?

I'm in need of a few Al sleeves for 4 AWG and haven't had any luck at
all locally or even online search.

Have query in to Nicopress but thought I'd see if anybody knows of
distributors....the locals have for #10 fencing wire and cables but
claim can't get anything but full lots on order of anything else...

You might try a telephone equipment vendor. We used to use Nicopress
sleeves on copper clad steel open wire. They probably won't have the
size you need, but they will probably know where to get some.

We used to have to maintain own phone lines up to where met the Ma Bell
lines at the edge of town before the switchover to dial (the crank and
talk to operator 'til then). We used a lot on them over the years and
use a fair number on electric fence. But, they're much smaller and
readily available; I've yet to find a distributor w/ the electrical wire
sizes in splices larger than #8, unfortunately.

Not sure who it would actually be I'd be asking per your suggestion,
though...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The one problem with McMaster Carr is that they don't tell you brand names
in the catalog. However, if you call them they are happy to tell you. Call
them and give them the Nicopress part number you want, and they will tell
you if they stock it, and since they are apparently a Nicopress customer
already they will probably offer to order them for you if they don't have
them. Web site is www.mcmaster.com, either call the number on their web
site or use the contact button and ask by email.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"dpb" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/30/13, 2:46 PM, Carl Ijames wrote:
The one problem with McMaster Carr is that they don't tell you brand names
in the catalog. However, if you call them they are happy to tell you. Call
them and give them the Nicopress part number you want, and they will tell
you if they stock it, and since they are apparently a Nicopress customer
already they will probably offer to order them for you if they don't have
them. Web site is www.mcmaster.com, either call the number on their web
site or use the contact button and ask by email.

I've also had need to call McMaster Carr several times through the
years... and far as I can remember I came away smiling every time.

On that note, I bet if you call Nicopress, they'll be glad to tell you
where you can locally purchase their products.

Good luck with the search!

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 12:56:17 -0600, dpb wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I saw Nicopress, ignored the 4AWG, and assumed aircraft cable.
You might want to expand your search to other mfrs - Burndy is the
first that comes to mind. For example:
http://ecat.burndy.com/Comergent/burndy/product/YS4CA1
http://www.drillspot.com/products/67...t_cable_splice
http://www.electriciansupplies.com/p...ndy-YS4CA1.htm

AMP and T&B are bound to have equivalents.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message
[...]

Greybar, Altell, Teledynamics...

Greybar sucks, and I think Altell is out of business, but those were names I
thought of off hand.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/30/2013 6:44 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 12:56:17 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Ah! Thanks, that was most helpful...I couldn't come up w/ the Burndy
name as a good searching aid and it didn't come up in any of the search
I'd done on a comparative match...

Nicopress did respond w/ a distributor in Dodge -- that's at least
within 100 miles altho they're one I've not dealt with prior. I'll
contact them as well and see whether their one of the
reasonable-to-deal-with or whether are the "sock to the OTC buyer" type
of so many like the local (and only full-line) electrical parts
distributor is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-31, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 12:56:17 -0600, dpb wrote:

[ ... ]

http://www.nicopress.com/E2S1.htm

Hopefully, Nicopress will get back eventually. I'm trying to line up
pieces-parts to have on hand when weather warms up and ground thaws out
enough to finish digging up the line to the fountain heaters in the
feedlot that have had to have a long extension cord to keep going this
winter which has been a pita...the previous patch failed with a regular
clamp connector.

Sorry, I saw Nicopress, ignored the 4AWG, and assumed aircraft cable.
You might want to expand your search to other mfrs - Burndy is the
first that comes to mind. For example:
http://ecat.burndy.com/Comergent/burndy/product/YS4CA1
http://www.drillspot.com/products/67...t_cable_splice
http://www.electriciansupplies.com/p...ndy-YS4CA1.htm

AMP and T&B are bound to have equivalents.

Now that I know that you are talking about electrical crimp
spices, do you have the proper tooling to crimp those? I don't know
about NicoPress, but AMP/Tycho ones for 4 AWG are into the size range
where they use hydraulic tooling. I've got tooling for 8, 6, 4, and 2
Ga in one size crimper head (which separate dies for each), and other
tooling for 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0 in a larger size, with more separate
dies. Three choices of how to crimp -- hand pump, foot pump, and
electric pump which does a complete cycle on its own once you push the
button.

But -- these are not for buryable splices -- rather for
ring terminals which go onto studs or under (large) screws.

I've seen Burndy crimpers on eBay which are pure mechanical
leverage, with rotating dies, and which are for uninsulated terminals.
(My tooling is for pre-insulated terminals).

And your case is not only pre-insulated, but buryable.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/2/2014 10:58 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

But -- these are not for buryable splices -- rather for
ring terminals which go onto studs or under (large) screws.

I've seen Burndy crimpers on eBay which are pure mechanical
leverage, with rotating dies, and which are for uninsulated terminals.
(My tooling is for pre-insulated terminals).

And your case is not only pre-insulated, but buryable.

I have several of the Nicopress crimpers; unfortunately, not the larger
one already here. I don't know who did the crimps for or who Dad
borrowed tooling from when we put the feedlots in; I was in school at
the time and remember a fair amount of the construction but not that
particular detail. I'm guessing the fellow he used is one who is now
long gone; he did most of the work that didn't do ourselves on the
place. I'd guess "'ol Shuff" probably just loaned the tool; the
installation bears too many of the characteristics of Dad's penchant for
detail for somebody else to have done the work.

I've a bid in on one at the moment; if it doesn't come to pass I believe
I've tracked down one in town I can borrow. As near as I can tell from
spec sheets, the dimensions on the splices from various sources are such
as that they're interchangeable for crimper-maker (presuming correct die
choice, of course).

And, I did find a batch of splices at less than half retail so bought a
couple-dozen to have some on hand for later...

The splices themselves are uninsulated but filled with anti-oxidant.
I've on hand already the preshrink with the internal mastic for the
water-proofing...plus will then wrap extensively before they go back in
the ground, hopefully for a long time again.

Weather not going to cooperate for a while, however...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/30/2013 9:26 AM, dpb wrote:
Anybody know a distributor for Nicopress sleeves, etc. in US?

I'm in need of a few Al sleeves for 4 AWG and haven't had any luck at
all locally or even online search.

Have query in to Nicopress but thought I'd see if anybody knows of
distributors....the locals have for #10 fencing wire and cables but
claim can't get anything but full lots on order of anything else...

Follow up--

eBay _can_ be your friend...with a differing search string ended up
finding several crimps available at reasonable pricing (why would a
cylindrical Al tube of 2" L ~1/2" OD need to be priced at $6 or so,
realistically?) and a name-brand crimping tool also came up at 1/4 or
less of distributor pricing as well.

So, now it's wait for the spring thaw and hope the jury-rig lasts...the
-6F crusted over the floats so had turn the rheostat up just a little
but did keep 'em hot so no "froze solid"...of course when it's back to
near 50F highs next week they'll be warm enough for soup so will have to
turn back down a little but that's easy enough. To bad these don't have
self-regulating strips.

As an interesting aside while looking for the crimps the Wichita TV had
a story one evening news owing to so many people calling in 911 on what
thought were gunshots. Turns out Westar was repairing a bunch of HV
lines using explosive crimps. Had a little clip of a group detonation
of 9 at a time on a tower.

Reminded me of using similar for tubing repairs and plugging tubes in
power plant steam generators.