Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Round blacksmith tables made from blind pipe flanges

On Friday, November 8, 2013 12:16:35 AM UTC-5, Ignoramus23234 wrote:

I have two questions. The first is how many legs to provide, 3 or 4?

Anyone with any experience in that sort of thing?

I would want one leg. Say a 6 by 6 square tube with a flange so it can be bolted to the floor. One is not going to be moving something like that very often.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, November 8, 2013 6:34:32 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus28056 wrote:

I do not have such a tube, but I do have pipe. I cannot really afford

to buy new steel from dealers.

Pipe would work.

You might be better off listing different types and not weld the leg (s) on until the customer decides what he wants.

Dan

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" writes:

On Friday, November 8, 2013 6:34:32 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus28056 wrote:

I do not have such a tube, but I do have pipe. I cannot really afford
to buy new steel from dealers.

Pipe would work.

You might be better off listing different types and not weld the leg
(s) on until the customer decides what he wants.

Speaking as a blacksmith...

Center post, ca. 3" pipe. 1/4" plate disk or square for a base.
Gussets to brace the welds.

Make one for a demo. Let customers decide how high they want it, cut
the pipe to the length that suits them.

Some will want to bolt to the floor (smaller base), some will want to
add casters (so need overall height lower). Some smiths stow their
gear under cover, wheel it outdoors to work; a square base plate will
be easier to move with a hand truck.

Better yet, sell as is to blacksmiths who will polish them and make
fancy ornamental legs for coffee, hall or telephone tables. Massive
but attractive and unique furniture is a sought-for asset in a house
with a big dog.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have two questions. The first is how many legs to provide, 3 or 4?

Anyone with any experience in that sort of thing?

Three legs might not make for a level table top,
but at least it won't rock back and forth.

I've dissembled tables when people move from one
house to another. A couple bolts, nuts, washers.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-11-09, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have two questions. The first is how many legs to provide, 3 or 4?

Anyone with any experience in that sort of thing?

Three legs might not make for a level table top,
but at least it won't rock back and forth.

Right. And with some shims you can easily level those three legged
tables.

I've dissembled tables when people move from one
house to another. A couple bolts, nuts, washers.

Dissembling is bad!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/9/2013 9:04 AM, Ignoramus26150 wrote:
Three legs might not make for a level table top,
but at least it won't rock back and forth.

Right. And with some shims you can easily level those three legged
tables.

I've dissembled tables when people move from one
house to another. A couple bolts, nuts, washers.

Dissembling is bad!

I've had a chance to help LDS members move house.
When they move out of my area, I help dismember
them.

--
..
Christopher A. Young