Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default Round blacksmith tables made from blind pipe flanges

" writes:

On Friday, November 8, 2013 6:34:32 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus28056 wrote:

I do not have such a tube, but I do have pipe. I cannot really afford
to buy new steel from dealers.

Pipe would work.

You might be better off listing different types and not weld the leg
(s) on until the customer decides what he wants.

Speaking as a blacksmith...

Center post, ca. 3" pipe. 1/4" plate disk or square for a base.
Gussets to brace the welds.

Make one for a demo. Let customers decide how high they want it, cut
the pipe to the length that suits them.

Some will want to bolt to the floor (smaller base), some will want to
add casters (so need overall height lower). Some smiths stow their
gear under cover, wheel it outdoors to work; a square base plate will
be easier to move with a hand truck.

Better yet, sell as is to blacksmiths who will polish them and make
fancy ornamental legs for coffee, hall or telephone tables. Massive
but attractive and unique furniture is a sought-for asset in a house
with a big dog.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada