Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Robotic Arm finally came in.

My Robotic Arm was supposed to be delivered Monday per USPS. It finally
came in today. I plugged the robot into the controller and the controller
into the 120 VAC, it worked for the motor test. Then I plugged the control
into my laptop, ran the software, it homed, passed speed calibration test,
and I proceeded to jog to positions and write a program. I'm delighted that
it worked without having to be repaired!

So right now it has an airsoft pistol, 1911 style, in the gripper, I
programmed it to point the gun and turn on an output, then it points the gun
down and sits in a rest position, ready to go again.

The original software is old DOS based, runs fine on my Windows XP machine.
I have documentation detailing the serial commands that it takes. I'm
thinking I can write a Windows based program, perhaps using a USB to serial
cable, and give this many more features than the original came with.
Perhaps even the ability to follow a G-Code tool path, mount a die grinder
and carve items out of wood or metal.

It seems this could present a wide variety of interesting challenges, I'm
hoping to learn how to do the 3D kinematics to position various points of
the end effector to world coordinates and angles. I think this would also
be applicable to 4+ axis on CNC machining.

RogerN