Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Robotic Arm finally came in.

My Robotic Arm was supposed to be delivered Monday per USPS. It finally
came in today. I plugged the robot into the controller and the controller
into the 120 VAC, it worked for the motor test. Then I plugged the control
into my laptop, ran the software, it homed, passed speed calibration test,
and I proceeded to jog to positions and write a program. I'm delighted that
it worked without having to be repaired!

So right now it has an airsoft pistol, 1911 style, in the gripper, I
programmed it to point the gun and turn on an output, then it points the gun
down and sits in a rest position, ready to go again.

The original software is old DOS based, runs fine on my Windows XP machine.
I have documentation detailing the serial commands that it takes. I'm
thinking I can write a Windows based program, perhaps using a USB to serial
cable, and give this many more features than the original came with.
Perhaps even the ability to follow a G-Code tool path, mount a die grinder
and carve items out of wood or metal.

It seems this could present a wide variety of interesting challenges, I'm
hoping to learn how to do the 3D kinematics to position various points of
the end effector to world coordinates and angles. I think this would also
be applicable to 4+ axis on CNC machining.

RogerN