Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressor diagnosis?

"axolotl" wrote in message

The patient is a Sears compressor- really a relabeled Campbell Hausfield
VT200001; two cylinder, 2 HP, 20 Gal tank. The unit pumps up and shuts
down as it should. Air is leaking, from the sound of it, at the reed
valves. The tank pressure drops. My guess of the moment is that the check
valve on the tank is leaking. Is my logic flawed?

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

Probably gunked up . They can be cleaned , sometimes . Not all that
expensive if it needs replacing .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message

The patient is a Sears compressor- really a relabeled Campbell Hausfield
VT200001; two cylinder, 2 HP, 20 Gal tank. The unit pumps up and shuts
down as it should. Air is leaking, from the sound of it, at the reed
valves. The tank pressure drops. My guess of the moment is that the check
valve on the tank is leaking.

Instead of emitting a single, short burst of air upon shutdown, air will
continue to be expelled from the unloader vavle at the pressure switch if
the check valve is failed.

Is my logic flawed?

Nope.

Thanks,

You're perfectly welcome.

A lot of times you can pull the check valve out and clean it and or
otherwise kludge some sort of temporary fix to get you by till a new one
arrives.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 19:28:52 -0700, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"axolotl" wrote in message

The patient is a Sears compressor- really a relabeled Campbell
Hausfield VT200001; two cylinder, 2 HP, 20 Gal tank. The unit pumps up
and shuts down as it should. Air is leaking, from the sound of it, at
the reed valves. The tank pressure drops. My guess of the moment is
that the check valve on the tank is leaking.

Instead of emitting a single, short burst of air upon shutdown, air will
continue to be expelled from the unloader vavle at the pressure switch
if the check valve is failed.

Is my logic flawed?

Nope.

Thanks,

You're perfectly welcome.

A lot of times you can pull the check valve out and clean it and or
otherwise kludge some sort of temporary fix to get you by till a new one
arrives.

I don't know about Kevin's cheap air compressor, but my cheap air
compressor does not have an unloader valve -- it just has a leak on the
compressor side, and a check valve.

I figured this out because when I got it the thing wouldn't start against
pressure. After puzzling over it and a bit of checking, I found out that
someone had taken the ball (but not the spring) out of the check valve.
Fortunately, we have some little ball bearing and magnet toys; the kids
did not notice one ball bearing fewer, and now my compressor works fine.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 21:41:54 -0400, axolotl
wrote:

The patient is a Sears compressor- really a relabeled Campbell Hausfield
VT200001; two cylinder, 2 HP, 20 Gal tank. The unit pumps up and shuts
down as it should. Air is leaking, from the sound of it, at the reed
valves. The tank pressure drops. My guess of the moment is that the
check valve on the tank is leaking. Is my logic flawed?

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

Ayup. Sure sounds like it.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message

[...]

So now it has an unloader?
What brand of compressor?
--
EA

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message

[...]

Speaking of balls, my Gardner Denver uses a ball as an outlet valve.
When I first got it the ball was somewhat corroded but a visit to my
friendly auto mechanic produced a suitable replacement.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Diagnosis? The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 January 26th 11 09:25 PM
Boiler diagnosis? Martin Pentreath UK diy 5 December 2nd 10 09:14 AM
Battery Diagnosis [email protected] Electronics Repair 17 December 26th 06 05:17 PM
Help with damp diagnosis please [email protected] UK diy 10 December 11th 06 08:09 AM
dishwasher diagnosis p cooper UK diy 7 March 4th 06 11:43 AM