Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Picture of scrap junk trucks

Two trucks I am scrapping today

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...502_124309.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/2/2013 11:19 AM, Ignoramus6158 wrote:
Two trucks I am scrapping today

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...502_124309.jpg

Yeah, I guess you could say they were a bit rusty!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/2/2013 1:19 PM, Ignoramus6158 wrote:
Two trucks I am scrapping today

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...

I had wondered whether ever unloaded them or not...

Truthfully, I've seen a lot worse still on the road/farm/industrial use.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:19:47 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus6158 wrote:
Two trucks I am scrapping today

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...502_124309.jpg

So what is the optimum level of rustiness to maximize weight, without losing so much metal the item gets lighter?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 May 2013 13:19:47 -0500, Ignoramus6158
wrote:

Two trucks I am scrapping today

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...502_124309.jpg

Whats the brown stuff all over them?

Oh...thats rust isnt it? I remember...you live in snow country..where
they salt the roads.

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-02, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 5/2/2013 11:19 AM, Ignoramus6158 wrote:
Two trucks I am scrapping today

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...502_124309.jpg

Yeah, I guess you could say they were a bit rusty!

Paul

They were "salter trucks", that is why they are in so horrible
condition.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-02, dpb wrote:
On 5/2/2013 1:19 PM, Ignoramus6158 wrote:
Two trucks I am scrapping today

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...

I had wondered whether ever unloaded them or not...

Truthfully, I've seen a lot worse still on the road/farm/industrial use.

The only great thing about those trucks was the tires, beautiful new
11R22.5 offroad truck tires.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-02, wrote:
On Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:19:47 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus6158 wrote:
Two trucks I am scrapping today

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...502_124309.jpg

So what is the optimum level of rustiness to maximize weight, without losing so much metal the item gets lighter?

when big rust pancakes start falling off every night and you can hear
the truck rust
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Two trucks I am scrapping today

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...502_124309.jpg

Whats the brown stuff all over them?

Oh...thats rust isnt it? I remember...you live in snow country..where
they salt the roads.

And they used those trucks to salt the roads!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Two trucks I am scrapping today

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...502_124309.jpg

Whats the brown stuff all over them?

Oh...thats rust isnt it? I remember...you live in snow country..where
they salt the roads.

And they used those trucks to salt the roads!

No wonder you buy forklifts and stuff for $700. How much of those are
rust?

My neighbor has a 1954 Ford pickup. Original paint..whats left of it.
He just rebuilt the original engine for the 3rd-4th time in its life.

Body is still just fine and it spent most of its life as an oil field
truck

This is about as bad as they get

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...40693638364882

and as you will note..thats a 1931 Ford 1 1/2 ton
Which spent 70 yrs working on the oil leases

This what they look like after a bit of sanding and new paint

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...41126532048930

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...40311737420962

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...40288093422546

Hell..check em all out

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...602/Oildorado#

The old stock here doesnt rust out.

Poles, pipes, ditches, hills, those are what kill em.

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The rear axles are likely to be worth a lot more than what they weigh, maybe
as much as the scrap value of the whole truck.

--
WB