Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How the heck do you weld around a circumference?

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 11:22:56 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 06:55:42 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 04/18/2013 09:10 AM, Stanley Schaefer wrote:

Don't know if it's the way the pros do it, but I tack opposite sides
6-8 times, then weld between tacks. I pretty much had to do that with
a muffler that split circumferentially or it would have distorted too
badly to make up. Going to have to have a healthy bevel to get
penetration on that schedule 80.

Thanks Stanly, I actually didn't bevel it, but just ran a fillet along
the outside; hopefully that will be sturdy enough for the application.

Jon

That means you dont have any interjoint bonding. Just glued around the
edges.

If its a low dynamic joint..not problem. If it is a dynamic
joint...expect to reweld it again..and again...

Most of the time..you can get away with it. Usually. Kinda sorta,
mostly.

Gunner...remember his spare tire that disappeared? No bevelling and
not enough heat....

A properly sized unbevelled fillet is just as good as a groove weld.
The choice to bevel is usually comes down to economics. A fillet
requires no prep but more weld deposit; most groove welds require some
sort of prep but less weld. As the material gets heavier the cost of
extra weld deposit tends to outweigh the cost of prepping joints.

For examples of prequalified code quality fillet welds see the AISC
Steel Construction Manual or Lincoln's Procedure Handbook.

--
Ned Simmons