Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How the heck do you weld around a circumference?

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 07:33:02 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

Hello,

I am working on an exercise contraption that has a number of pieces of
horizontal pipe, welded on the main structure, which provide a
convenient place to hang the weight plates when they are not in use.

I am at the part where I have to weld the pipe sections on to the main
structure. The pipe sections are five inches long, and are 1.25"
schedule 80 pipe, and they will be fillet welded around the
circumference where they join the main structure (the main structure is
made from 2.5" square tubing).

So I'm all ready to weld these on, I have the main structure laying on
supports on the shop floor, and I have the first one clamped up, ready
to be welded around

Here's my question: how the heck to I maintain the correct rod angles as
I go around the circumference?

I played with a couple pieces of scrap yesterday, and while I can get my
weld started just fine, when I go to move *myself* around the work, I
find it nearly impossible to maintain the proper angle/distance/speed of
my electrode.

So how do you do it in a situation like this? Is the trick to give up
on the idea of doing one continuous bead, and instead do the weld in two
or three sections, so that you don't have to move your entire body while
trying to weld at the same time?

What's your technique?

Jon

The technique is that of pipe welding and you need to move your hand
(holding the rod) faster than the weld is progressing so that the rod
angle to the work remains constant as you weld around the pipe.

Welding a pipe, at the top of the pipe the rod angle is say 15 degrees
to the pipe surface but when you are half way down the side of the
pipe while the rod angle reference to the work has not changed the
angle of your hand holding the stinger is closer to 105 degrees and
when you get to the bottom the rod is pointing backwards.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 04/18/2013 05:04 PM, J.B.Slocomb wrote:

The technique is that of pipe welding and you need to move your hand
(holding the rod) faster than the weld is progressing so that the rod
angle to the work remains constant as you weld around the pipe.

Welding a pipe, at the top of the pipe the rod angle is say 15 degrees
to the pipe surface but when you are half way down the side of the
pipe while the rod angle reference to the work has not changed the
angle of your hand holding the stinger is closer to 105 degrees and
when you get to the bottom the rod is pointing backwards.

I experienced this somewhat last summer when I was welding the end of
some horizontal sections of square tubing. When I transitioned between
the vertical and horizontal faces, my rod holding hand had to make up a
lot of distance in a fast arc, while the rod tip barely moved.

I knew that I was going to be doing this going in, but it's a whole
different thing when you're actually _doing_ it, as compared to just
thinking about doing it.

I have a lot of respect for pipe welders now; it is a very challenging
job to perform this while still making an acceptable weldment, and they
make it look easy!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:54:57 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

[...]

Practice does indeed..make perfect.

Gunner, still struggling with "overlapping dimes" while tigging.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 19, 3:57*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner, still struggling with "overlapping dimes" while tigging.

Just another draw back of drinking brominated vegetable oil 24/7-365