Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_7_] Jon Danniken[_7_] is offline

Default How the heck do you weld around a circumference?

On 04/18/2013 05:04 PM, J.B.Slocomb wrote:

The technique is that of pipe welding and you need to move your hand
(holding the rod) faster than the weld is progressing so that the rod
angle to the work remains constant as you weld around the pipe.

Welding a pipe, at the top of the pipe the rod angle is say 15 degrees
to the pipe surface but when you are half way down the side of the
pipe while the rod angle reference to the work has not changed the
angle of your hand holding the stinger is closer to 105 degrees and
when you get to the bottom the rod is pointing backwards.

I experienced this somewhat last summer when I was welding the end of
some horizontal sections of square tubing. When I transitioned between
the vertical and horizontal faces, my rod holding hand had to make up a
lot of distance in a fast arc, while the rod tip barely moved.

I knew that I was going to be doing this going in, but it's a whole
different thing when you're actually _doing_ it, as compared to just
thinking about doing it.

I have a lot of respect for pipe welders now; it is a very challenging
job to perform this while still making an acceptable weldment, and they
make it look easy!

Jon