Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to test an AC servo motor

I have been doing a fair amount of scrapping CNC equipment, lately.

It works out great, typically just the ironplus copper wires pays me
back 2x what I pay for the machine, and then I am left with servo
motors, boards, hydraulic pumps, coolant pumps, etc to sell.

But, at the same time I feel that listing and saying things like "this
motor comes from an obsolete piece of CNC equipment that belonged to a
bankrupt company" does not let me get the highest value for the item.

Whiel I have no hope of being able to test boards, I do feel that I
could adequately test the motors.

So, what would constitute a good test of an AC servo motor like a red
cap Fanuc motor?

I see a few things.

1. Run it from a VFD and measure vibration
2. Somehow test the encoder.

Anything else?

I know that there are companies that buy those motors for $200 each,
refurbish and test them professionally (this involves change of
bearings, rebalancing etc) and sell for 2,000 each. I would like to be
able to do the same and can invest a few grand into scavenging proper
test setups.

Any comments?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17560 wrote:

[...]

You should already have most of the parts for the test setup if you
scrapped the machine, i.e. the servo drives and power supply. AC servos
aren't very likely to go bad, they're just three phase motors, nor are
their bearings likely to go bad since in use they don't see a lot of
the encoder and check the outputs on a scope should provide good
indication if they are ok.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:59:49 AM UTC-5, Ignoramus17560 wrote:
[...]

Short the power leads, and turn the motor.
If it turns with a "lump" then one of the magnets is demagnetized.
Smooth, but high torque resistance, is good.
Not likely if it was being ran in a machine up until the end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus17560" wrote in message
[...]

Google it, you dumb ass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 13, 9:55*am, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
[...]

Same applies to the diaphragm pump thread that iggy started where iggy
posted no brand or model information.

When asked for the information iggy refused to respond.

Typical iggy. What a guy!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/13/2013 16:59, Ignoramus17560 wrote:
I have been doing a fair amount of scrapping CNC equipment, lately.

It works out great, typically just the ironplus copper wires pays me
back 2x what I pay for the machine, and then I am left with servo
motors, boards, hydraulic pumps, coolant pumps, etc to sell.

But, at the same time I feel that listing and saying things like "this
motor comes from an obsolete piece of CNC equipment that belonged to a
bankrupt company" does not let me get the highest value for the item.

Whiel I have no hope of being able to test boards, I do feel that I
could adequately test the motors.

So, what would constitute a good test of an AC servo motor like a red
cap Fanuc motor?

IF you have the electronics back-ground, get a good servo drive
(like Granite Devices VSD-E) that is configurable for differents
kinds of motors. Then just hook up the motor and encoder to servodrive,
tune the servo to the motor, and run it. You can put the curves from
the Granite devices tuning software as part of your ebay ad. The tuning
is done completely from PC software and is rather easy. It works with DC
brushless, DC brush and AC servo motors..

http://granitedevices.com/index.php?...e#.UWpjbEqAPkY
http://granitedevices.com/assets/fil...ing_manual.pdf

I have no connection to the company except I used that servo amp
for my CNC upgrade, and was very happy with it.

But, I do wonder if it really pays for itself in your application.
The hardware setup is rather easy and cheap, but you need a person
with electronics knowledge testing the motors.. A couple of hours
per motor (figuring out pinouts and making connections to wierd
connectors) will cost quite a lot for an electronics technician..

Also, the motor is still the unknown runtime motor without warranty..
It may work at the moment, but might fail next week. It does not have
the same value as a tested and refurbished motor which is mechanically
and electronically quite close to a new motor.

IMHO not worth it.

Kristian Ukkonen.