Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More 4140 questions

Almost finished with the part ... OK , what this part is , it's a sleeve
that goes on a motor that runs an oilless compressor . This sleeve needs to
be press fit on the motor shaft as it transmits all the torque to the
crankpin . The crankpin has a taper that fits into a half-dovetail cut into
the sleeve , as the nut is tightened the dovetail locks the crankpin to the
sleeve/shaft .
I currently have it machined for a .0015 interference fit ~ .700" shaft
diameter. The outside has to be a hand-press fit into a roller bearing and
the crank plate that mates the shaft to the crankpin . NOW , the question is
how much is this sleeve going to grow when we press it on ? Do I allow for
that much growth , or less ? Once installed on the motor shaft it's going to
be difficult to turn it down if I get it wrong ... and right now I have
exactly the fit I want in the bearing .This would sure be easier if there
were holes for centers drilled into the shaft
--
Snag
My gut tells me to take the OD

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

[...]

You're probably wasting your time, and it'll throw another rod before you even get another 10 hours of run -time...**** poor design engineering.

Been there done it. Still got an old tank to prove it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Oops...forgot about the sleeve...

--what happens unless it is an exceptionally thick-walled sleeve, is that for all practical purposes the sleeve OD grows by the exact same amount as your shaft interferance fit--also, you need to be careful that any press fit sleeve is not too thin, because they will easily split...incidentally, this is a phenomena you can take advantage of for instance if you have a bearing inner race next to a shoulder and you can't get anything in there to pry it away from the shoulder....just grind a flat on the race 'til you're about .020 or so away from hitting the shaft and then give it a good whack with a hammer and sharp chisel.right at the thinned area...it'll split, allowing you to easily slide it off....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news5CdnVRc85SyKfXMnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

[...]

My neighbor's unit and this ain't the first time . The "press fit" sleeve
the last guy made had over .015" clearance on the motor shaft . I agree the
design leaves a lot to be desired . I also have an oilless on a wheeled 20
gal tank , and when it dies it goes - but I will keep the tank for
additional storage for the shop compressor.
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 12, 7:07*pm, "Terry Coombs" wrote:
[...]

My gut says it depends on the thickness of the sleeve. A thin sleeve
will stretch . A thick sleeve will not expand as much. But can you
not turn the motor on and use some abrasive to take a little off of
the sleeve diameter?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Ah , would that it were that simple !! The bearing it must fit is the
front bearing of the motor ... As PM said , bad design . I'm going to shave
a thou off the outside , it's more important it have a good grip on the
motor shaft than it fit tightly in the bearing .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

\

Assuming the finishes are quite good, you can pretty much assume that
anything beyond .0005" interference is going to cause growth. That's a
very respectable press fit for a small diameter (an inch or less).

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 12, 10:48*pm, "Terry Coombs" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Still trying to picture the situation. Could you have two sleeves?
One sleeve that fits in the bearing of the motor and another sleeve
that is a press fit on the shaft and connects to the crankpin? Or
more simply can you make your sleeve with a little relief where the
motor shaft is located?

You probably have it all done by now. Hope it worked out well.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

Still trying to picture the situation.

[...]