Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIG weld 4140

I've got a critical weld project coming up. Need to TIG weld 4140
steel to full strength without distortion. Do you use a special TIG
rod? I assume preheat and post heat. What temps?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 31, 7:52*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I've got a critical weld project coming up. Need to TIG weld 4140
steel to full strength without distortion. Do you use a special TIG
rod? I assume preheat and post heat. What temps?

Karl

Lots of information on the Lincoln web site. There is 4140 tig rod,
but Lincoln says regular 70,000 rod is usually all that is needed.
Most things as designed are over welded.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I've got a critical weld project coming up. Need to TIG weld 4140
steel to full strength without distortion. Do you use a special TIG
rod? I assume preheat and post heat. What temps?

Karl

Lots of information on the Lincoln web site. There is 4140 tig rod,
but Lincoln says regular 70,000 rod is usually all that is needed.
Most things as designed are over welded.

Dan

I cruised around couldn't find 4140. They did list 4130 chrome moly,
but that's a different animal.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...solutions.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 31, 1:01*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I cruised around couldn't find 4140. They did list 4130 chrome moly,
but that's a different animal.http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...lutions/Pages/...

You are right. I was thinking 4130.

Dan