Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:08:00 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:07:55 -1000, dsi1
wrote:

On 2/28/2013 10:56 AM, jon_banquer wrote:
On Feb 28, 12:49 pm, dsi1 wrote:
On 2/28/2013 10:31 AM, jon_banquer wrote:

Your guess would be wrong. 3D printing is the most over-hyped
technology I know of.

My guess is that your guess would be wrong. 3D printing is going to
change our relationship to manufactured objects. All of a sudden we'll
be able to create things ourselves. We won't have to hire guys with
hammers, saws, and chisels. So there! :-)

I'm not wrong. It will be many years before 3D printing can print
autobody panels.

Like I said, 3D printing is the most over-hyped technology I'm aware
of. Suggest you start doing some investigating and read what those who
have been in 3D printing business for years have to say about all the
over-hyped bull****. 3D printing certainly has its place. Printing
autobody panels isn't one of them and it won't be anytime soon.

I'm willing to wait to see who's right. This discussion is over. BTW, I
never said that mass produced objects will be manufactured with 3D
printing. That's an idiotic notion.

Where the technology stands now, is he You can make plastic parts.
If they have extremes of thickness (or thinness, actually), they
aren't very good. That includes body panels. It's just not suited for
those radical differences in dimension, from one axis to another.

You can make metal parts. I have one that I photographed for a
magazine cover over ten years ago. They involve using powdered metal
in a polymer matrix, and they then have to be sintered. The same
dimensional issues apply, and the nature of the shapes make it
impossible to get good density without (a) losing accuracy, and (b)
using special alloys that give you good densification but high cost or
low strength, or both.

You can make casting models, mostly out of plastic. These serve as
patterns and cores for investment casting, which you're not going to
be able to do on your kitchen table. g

Where is it going? I don't do a lot of predicting, but I think it's
hit a plateau in terms of dimensional and strength capability. From
here, we need some kind of breakthrough. Prices keep falling, but
capabilities haven't moved much.

If you read the general-press articles, you'd think you can
manufacture anything in your spare bedroom. Even the trade press that
covers the subject writes about it in what I would call "intoxicated"
terms.

It just ain't there yet, and there's no clear path showing how to get
there.

I read an article in Micro Manufacturing a couple months ago about a
process that uses powdered metal in a vacuum that is melted together
with an electron beam. The process is being used to make medical
implants to order. One example was a titanium replacement for a large
section of a skull. The density of the structures can be varied during
the build. So spongy material can transition into solid metal. The
spongy stuff is used where the metal meets bone so the bone can fill
the interstices in the metal for a really solid join. Apparently only
several hours are needed from scanning the body to delivery of the
part ready to be installed. Speaking as someone who has several
titanium parts that were bent to shape by the surgeon to fit the bones
and take the place of missing bone at the time of installation I think
this new technology is pretty interesting.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 12:49 pm, dsi1 wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's similar to the in situ sintering with a laser. The
electron beam probably is more accurate.

The process is being used to make medical
implants to order. One example was a titanium replacement for a large
section of a skull. The density of the structures can be varied during
the build. So spongy material can transition into solid metal.

Oh, that's cool. That would be good for joints, too. They sometimes
use titanium foam for that, so blood can flow through it.

The
spongy stuff is used where the metal meets bone so the bone can fill
the interstices in the metal for a really solid join. Apparently only
several hours are needed from scanning the body to delivery of the
part ready to be installed. Speaking as someone who has several
titanium parts that were bent to shape by the surgeon to fit the bones
and take the place of missing bone at the time of installation I think
this new technology is pretty interesting.
Eric

Yes, medical applications are very bright prospects for the in situ
sintering techniques. The machinery costs up the kazoo, but, hey, it's
only medical costs. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 12:49 pm, dsi1 wrote:
[...]

I was reading about that (osseointegration) this morning. Interesting.
http://tinyurl.com/cv5hszc Electrodes for prosthetic arm permanently
implanted into patient for first time.

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 12:49 pm, dsi1 wrote:
[...]

We are living in very interesting times.

1. Lie