Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ethanol gasoline symptoms

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks to all who reccomended not using
ethanol gasoline in small engines. I'm drawing
a mental blank. Destroys gaskets, and rubber seals.

Whats the symptoms, how does one know
it's ethanol problems? Yeah, I know. DAGS.
Here is one such page:
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/25936782/#.URrbKfLxGPA

Look right to you? Rust and crud in the carb?
My snow blower, bought used a couple years
ago. I had to add a fuel filter, there was so much
black particles in the tank, the gas jet kept clogging.
Maybe ethanol problem?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Ethanol is a good solvent. As such any dirt, varnish or rust in the
lines comes free. That likes to plug filters.
Many fuel system parts on older small engines are NOT ethanol resistant
and they actually dissolve or break down and cause problems.
It also makes the engines run lean (unless you re-drill or replace the
jets) That causes them to run hotter which also creates more problems.
it also likes to absorb water which in turn causes more problems. And it
also likes to separate out while the fuel is in storage.

With 2 strokes the above are problems and add to that that many of the
oils used don't like ethanol.

--
Steve W.