Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bandsaw gearbox lube

I'm putting my bandsaw back together after a repair (broken gear shaft),
and it needs gear lube. The specs call for 140 weight, which,
unfortunately, isn't something my local places carry.

I'm guessing that 85w-140 is going to be just fine, but I wanted to
bring it up before I put it in.

Thoughts?

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/28/2013 3:33 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
I'm putting my bandsaw back together after a repair (broken gear shaft),
and it needs gear lube. The specs call for 140 weight, which,
unfortunately, isn't something my local places carry.

I'm guessing that 85w-140 is going to be just fine, but I wanted to
bring it up before I put it in.

Thoughts?

Jon

If there are any farm stores in your area, they will carry it.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01/28/2013 03:43 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 1/28/2013 3:33 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
I'm putting my bandsaw back together after a repair (broken gear shaft),
and it needs gear lube. The specs call for 140 weight, which,
unfortunately, isn't something my local places carry.

I'm guessing that 85w-140 is going to be just fine, but I wanted to
bring it up before I put it in.

Thoughts?

Jon

If there are any farm stores in your area, they will carry it.

Thanks Paul, I had already tried all of them. I found an old post
online with NAPA part numbers, and my local NAPA was able to order it
with that part number. It's a Sta-Lube product, and the part numbers are
SL24228 (quart), SL24238 (gal) and SL24258 (5 gal).

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/29/2013 9:14 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 01/28/2013 03:43 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 1/28/2013 3:33 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
I'm putting my bandsaw back together after a repair (broken gear shaft),
and it needs gear lube. The specs call for 140 weight, which,
unfortunately, isn't something my local places carry.

I'm guessing that 85w-140 is going to be just fine, but I wanted to
bring it up before I put it in.

Thoughts?

Jon

If there are any farm stores in your area, they will carry it.

Thanks Paul, I had already tried all of them. I found an old post online
with NAPA part numbers, and my local NAPA was able to order it with that
part number. It's a Sta-Lube product, and the part numbers are
SL24228 (quart), SL24238 (gal) and SL24258 (5 gal).

Jon

I think 140 weight is what is used in the gear box of my 48" rotary
mower and my 48" tiller. Got the oil at a local farm store, but several
years ago. 5 Gallons last quite a while!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 28, 6:33*pm, Jon Danniken
wrote:
I'm putting my bandsaw back together after a repair (broken gear shaft),
and it needs gear lube. *The specs call for 140 weight, which,
unfortunately, isn't something my local places carry.

I'm guessing that 85w-140 is going to be just fine, but I wanted to
bring it up before I put it in.

Thoughts?

Jon

Boston Gear ships all their worm gear reduction units with synthetic
gear lube. So that is what I would use. Works good , lasts a long
time.

Check it there is a WW Grainger or MSC near you. Maybe Fastenall, not
sure if they handle gear lube.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I recently worked on an old WT band saw with a gear box. When I was in
the bearing store and was reading the labels on the gear oils many of
them said that they were safe for the bronze bushes. The implication
here being that some of the newer oils might not work for the older
bushes. For what it's worth.

Cp
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:50:11 -0800, Pilgrim
wrote:

I recently worked on an old WT band saw with a gear box. When I was in
the bearing store and was reading the labels on the gear oils many of
them said that they were safe for the bronze bushes. The implication
here being that some of the newer oils might not work for the older
bushes. For what it's worth.

Cp

Apparently some of the more "modern" gear oils cause corrosion in
bronze bearings - the GL5 oils I believe. I have read that GL5 oils
contain a considerable amount of sulphur. Perhaps that is the reason.
--
Cheers,

John B.