Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Bandsaw gearbox lube

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:50:11 -0800, Pilgrim
wrote:

I recently worked on an old WT band saw with a gear box. When I was in
the bearing store and was reading the labels on the gear oils many of
them said that they were safe for the bronze bushes. The implication
here being that some of the newer oils might not work for the older
bushes. For what it's worth.

Cp

Apparently some of the more "modern" gear oils cause corrosion in
bronze bearings - the GL5 oils I believe. I have read that GL5 oils
contain a considerable amount of sulphur. Perhaps that is the reason.
--
Cheers,

John B.