Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Light surface rust ...

I'm making a couple of gate frames from 1X3 11ga , and it's developed a but
of light surface rust - you can wipe it mostly off with your bare hand . Do
I need to wipe it down with maybe some weak acid solution , or will a wipe
with rag/degreaser lacquer thinner most likely and use of an etching
primer do ? I'll be shooting the primer and maybe brushing 2 coats of
industrial enamel .
No matter what the finish , it's gonna be a problem getting it to dry
right now ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 16, 11:34*am, "Snag" wrote:
I'm making a couple of gate frames from 1X3 11ga , and it's developed a but
of light surface rust - you can wipe it mostly off with your bare hand . Do
I need to wipe it down with maybe some weak acid solution , or will a wipe
with rag/degreaser lacquer thinner most likely and use of an etching
primer do ? I'll be shooting the primer and maybe brushing 2 coats of
industrial enamel .
* No matter what the finish , it's gonna be a problem getting it to dry
right now ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Jasco used to have a Prep and Prime solution that was mainly
phosphoric acid, removed and/or converted the rust. Used it a lot on
stripped autobody parts before priming, those started rusting
immediately after removing the paint.. Basically a wipe-on/spray-on
type of thing. If it's cold, it'll take a LOT longer to react to
rust, best to find a nice warm garage or basement to do it in.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:56:30 -0800, Stanley Schaefer wrote:

On Jan 16, 11:34Â*am, "Snag" wrote:
I'm making a couple of gate frames from 1X3 11ga , and it's developed a
but of light surface rust - you can wipe it mostly off with your bare
hand . Do I need to wipe it down with maybe some weak acid solution ,
or will a wipe with rag/degreaser lacquer thinner most likely and use
of an etching primer do ? I'll be shooting the primer and maybe
brushing 2 coats of industrial enamel .
Â* No matter what the finish , it's gonna be a problem getting it to
Â* dry
right now ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Jasco used to have a Prep and Prime solution that was mainly phosphoric
acid, removed and/or converted the rust. Used it a lot on stripped
autobody parts before priming, those started rusting immediately after
removing the paint.. Basically a wipe-on/spray-on type of thing. If
it's cold, it'll take a LOT longer to react to rust, best to find a nice
warm garage or basement to do it in.

I can't remember the name but you can get that stuff from Home Depot.
Look carefully at what you're buying: you want to get the stuff whose
directions say to squirt it on then scrub with steel wool.

(Damn but this brings back memories. One of my jobs at my dad's shop was
to take the freshly-straightened sheet metal and put the first coat of
primer on it, after scrubbing it down with that stuff. It has a
distinctive smell, not unpleasant except that it smells like work).

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott fired this volley in
: