Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody here have experience with CO2 lasers?

I've been looking at 40 and 80 watt CO2 laser engraver/cutters lately.
Prices have come way down and one machine I looked at with a 40 watt
laser was less than 3000.00 bux. There are even cheaper ones but they
were a little too basic for me. The price for a new tube is $300.00
which translates to about 30 cents an hour operating cost for just the
tube. But what I am really interested in is what CO2 can realistically
cut and engrave. Not what the website says but real world experience.
I know I'll be able to engrave black anodized aluminum and black
acetal plastic, two materials which I would be engraving and have paid
for engraving in the past. But titanium engraving would be nice. And
cutting thin metal sheet and maybe thin plastic sheet. And laser
sintering Saturn 5 boosters. Well, maybe not Saturn 5 boosters. But is
40 watts even capable of cutting thin metal at any kind of decent feed
rate? And how thin is thin? When it comes to that, what kind of feed
rates when engraving black anodized aluminum or black plastics?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

I am sorry I can not give you much practical advice on marking and cutting,
but as an optical engineer I designed a CO2 laser system in this power range
for other material processing purposes, and I have heard a bit about their
use for marking and cutting. From what I understand, marking reflective
materials with lower powered CO2 lasers need it to first be sprayed with a
special coating that absorbs the laser energy and bonds to the metal. I
think 40W might be practical to cut thin plastics but not metal.

Have you looked at fiber laser systems? They are much easier to maintain.
The technology is advancing very quickly and will probably end up mostly
replacing CO2 systems. A Q-switched fiber laser is very good at marking
reflective materials. At lower powers, each type have advantages. Here's a
table of what each can mark, maybe you have seen a similar one.
http://www.ulsinc.com/products/pls6mw/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 22:04:40 -0800, "anorton"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I have been reading about fiber lasers. But only about big ones and
they are too expensive. The fiber laser made by the linked company
above will only cut metal foil. They do sell a CO2 laser that cuts
metal though. There is obviously a lot to learn before I buy anything.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:10:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I have been reading about fiber lasers. But only about big ones and

they are too expensive. The fiber laser made by the linked company

above will only cut metal foil. They do sell a CO2 laser that cuts

metal though. There is obviously a lot to learn before I buy anything.

Eric

Please do keep us up to date with what you find. This is a subject that has been on my mind lately, hopfully to be able to fabricate small prototype cases for electronics, and (possibly) to fabricate printed circuit boards. I was JUST about to start doing some research when your post came up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-09, anorton wrote:

Have you looked at fiber laser systems? They are much easier to maintain.
The technology is advancing very quickly and will probably end up mostly
replacing CO2 systems. A Q-switched fiber laser is very good at marking
reflective materials. At lower powers, each type have advantages. Here's a
table of what each can mark, maybe you have seen a similar one.
http://www.ulsinc.com/products/pls6mw/

Interesting. Does this mean that the laser rod is a bundle of
flexible fiber optics -- or even just one instead of a rigid rod like
the NdYAG ones which I have used in the past? (Those had a rotating
roof prism as the Q-switch, FWIW, and perhaps these days there are
electronic shutters which can do the task, to allow more precise control
over firing timing.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

P/S 2 Fat model cheap lasers? ntmobilerepairs Electronics Repair 0 January 6th 09 10:22 PM
Pioneer CDJ lasers / UK Gareth Magennis Electronics Repair 3 October 17th 08 11:22 AM
Aftermarket lasers??? Geo Woodworking 4 November 17th 05 01:34 AM
Lasers da Electronics 1 February 4th 05 11:17 PM
I have Sony KSS-240/210/220/170/etc. cd lasers to trade for Panasonic DVD lasers Stephen Sank Electronics Repair 0 January 6th 05 12:27 AM