Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Soldering problem

I was making another clone of my miniature sundials. On this occasion
I thought I would try a few things differently. Amongst others I
decided to soft-solder the brass 0.020" foil to the steel substrate.
Normally I glue them together with Goop.

The soldering went smoothly (except for having to buy a bigger
soldering iron). I proceeded to machine the piece in the normal way
yesterday and today I put it together:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...in/photostream

The etching is a bit raggedy due to high current density (I was also
trying a new bath) but otherwise things looked normal until I noticed
the fresh rust on the inside of the ring:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...in/photostream

I interpret this as caused by the acid-based flux leaking onto the
freshly exposed steel. This raises the question of what to do about
this in future. Clealy no amount of thorough cleaning will get rid of
the flux that is hidden until exposed by turning/boring. Maybe I shall

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC