Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Filling a 20 liter CO2 tank for soda

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 14:28:49 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 4, 11:11*pm, "Steve W." wrote:

Many of the big outfits do fill beverage grade. BUT you have to be sure
it IS beverage grade gas and not industrial
grade.

--
Steve W.

Do you really believe that the big outfits have two sets of
equipment? One for welding grade and another for beverage grade.

Dan

Airgas in Seattle does.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 6, 1:59*pm, wrote:

Do you really believe that the big outfits have two sets of
equipment? *One for welding grade and another for beverage grade.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

Airgas in Seattle does.
Eric

I believe you, but doubt if that is true very many places. The next
time I am at a welding outlet, I will ask if they carry beverage
grade.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
" wrote:

On Jan 6, 1:59?pm, wrote:

Do you really believe that the big outfits have two sets of
equipment? ?One for welding grade and another for beverage grade.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Dan

Airgas in Seattle does.
Eric

I believe you, but doubt if that is true very many places. The next
time I am at a welding outlet, I will ask if they carry beverage
grade.

Dan

For the record, there are different grades of O2 as well.... welding,
medical & aviators breathing Oxygen.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Erik wrote:
In article
,
" wrote:

On Jan 6, 1:59?pm, wrote:

Do you really believe that the big outfits have two sets of
equipment? ?One for welding grade and another for beverage grade.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Dan
Airgas in Seattle does.
Eric

I believe you, but doubt if that is true very many places. The next
time I am at a welding outlet, I will ask if they carry beverage
grade.

Dan

For the record, there are different grades of O2 as well.... welding,
medical & aviators breathing Oxygen.

Erik

Same with most gases used for medical or human consumption.

BUT don't be surprised if you get called an idiot for daring to post
true facts.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Erik wrote:

For the record, there are different grades of O2 as well.... welding,
medical & aviators breathing Oxygen.

Yes, no, maybe...

The reality is there are different labels, but all are filled from the
same cryo tank and thus the medical and aviator grades have the same
higher purity of the welding grade even if the label lists the lower
standards of medical or aviator grades. Only the analytical grade gets
special treatment. This may well not have been true in decades past, but
today what's in the cryo tank is ultra pure and meets all the standards.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/8/2013 4:59 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Erik wrote:

For the record, there are different grades of O2 as well.... welding,
medical& aviators breathing Oxygen.

Yes, no, maybe...

The reality is there are different labels, but all are filled from the
same cryo tank and thus the medical and aviator grades have the same
higher purity of the welding grade even if the label lists the lower
standards of medical or aviator grades. Only the analytical grade gets
special treatment. This may well not have been true in decades past, but
today what's in the cryo tank is ultra pure and meets all the standards.

Wouldn't be hard to convince me that it's true.
But that's only part of the equation.

We don't have many unicorns and rainbows where I live.
In my world, I'd like my beverage CO2 supplier to have at the least
the facade of proper handling for food-grade stuff.

This will never be an issue for CO2...until it is.
Be as macho as YOU like.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-09, mike wrote:
On 1/8/2013 4:59 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Erik wrote:

[...]

The gas may be the same, but food grade also implies better handling,
for example, the hoses would not be lying in oil and dirt etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-09, mike wrote:
On 1/8/2013 4:59 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Erik wrote:

[...]

Implies, but not really. If you've seen the fill plants, all the fill
whips hang down from overhead manifolds and their connections can't
actually reach the floor. Those plants tend to be very clean anyway,
since regardless of grade, pure O2 contacting stray grease on fittings
does bad things.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-09, mike wrote:
On 1/8/2013 4:59 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Erik wrote:

[...]

FYI: I've sucked down pure welding grade O2 at 60' depth equivalent
pressure in a hyperbaric chamber with no issues.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2013-01-09, wrote:

In my world, I'd like my beverage CO2 supplier to have at the least
the facade of proper handling for food-grade stuff.

The gas may be the same, but food grade also implies better handling,
for example, the hoses would not be lying in oil and dirt etc.

It's much like an "N" grade valve or other component -- while an
off-the-shelf valve from a vendor catalog may satisfy the spec's and be
the same functionally and serve the purpose from a practical standpoint,
the N stamp pedigree implies the part has been through a rigorous
process to ensure it really _does_ meet the performance requirements.

The other valve itself may not be any different but there's an assurance
available w/ the one that just isn't there otherwise.

Until, of course, you get into the case of counterfeits and forged
documents like the aircraft part scandals of a few years ago (which are
probably still around at least to some extent altho not heard much about
it recently). There are always the unethical and just outright crooks
everywhere.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-09, wrote:
On 1/8/2013 4:59 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Erik wrote:

[...]

And an MD, who is a prominent FAA flight examiner
and a pilot, uses and has extensively documented
a setup that uses two big welding bottles of O2
to fill up his flight O2 system.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Air gas has two separate bui8ldings and are not in the same business
group. The bottles are physically different and so are the people.
They supply oxygen to those who need it to simply breathe.

The coke trucks have their own supplies - different bottles.

You get medical CO2 blocks at one and industrial blocks at the normal.
When the medical unit gets a CO2 block set and doesn't use it -
they give it to the normal welding group. They done' ship hearts or
such - but shrink bearings or pipes or cause hail dimples to pucker and
flip back to flat.

So it depends on where you are and what companies and what is done.

Martin