Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Searching just rec.crafts.metalworking

I really wish the hell they would leave things alone.
I am used to the old google, where I could click "search this group" or "search all groups".
Now I only see the one box, and if I try to search this group, it gives me hits in all the groups.
Is there no way to still use the old google?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-06, wrote:
I really wish the hell they would leave things alone.

I am used to the old google, where I could click "search this group"
or "search all groups".

Now I only see the one box, and if I try to search this group, it
gives me hits in all the groups.

Is there no way to still use the old google?

Your problem is google and the user interface which it offers, not the
usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking itself.

What you want is a real newsreader program and to sign up with
one of many news servers which don't force you to read via a web
browser. rec.crafts.metalworking is not a google group, it is a
worldwide usenet newsgroup which google is simply importing into its
google groups environment. You don't need to be forced to use it --
unless you want to read one of the groups which is purely google.

As for suggestions as to which are good newsreaders, that
depends on which OS you are using. Since I use a unix system, and you
probably use a Windows system, I can't suggest what will work for you.
What I am currently using is slrn -- which I think is available for
Windows systems as well.

For a news server -- I use newsguy http://www.newsguy.com
which can be read either via a web based interface, or via your choice
of newsreader. They even have a newsreader free for download for
Windows systems if you don't already have a preference. They have a
fee, depending on your bandwidth requirements. I pay $99.00 per year
and never use up the bandwidth available at that price. There are lower
and higher prices for different levels of service.

There are also free ones -- some of which hit limitations from
time to time.

You will also likely reach more readers without googlegroups,
because a number of spamers use google for posting, and as a result, a
number of people using other news servers put google in their killfile
to not see the spam.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/6/2012 4:50 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
Your problem is google and the user interface which it offers, not the
usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking itself.

What you want is a real newsreader program and to sign up with
one of many news servers which don't force you to read via a web
browser. ...

But, do any of them allow you to search for posts older than what is
cached on your machine? I use Thunderbird & it doesn't. I have to use
Google to search way back.

For a news server -- I use newsguyhttp://www.newsguy.com
which can be read either via a web based interface, or via your choice
of newsreader. They even have a newsreader free for download for
Windows systems if you don't already have a preference. They have a
fee, depending on your bandwidth requirements. I pay $99.00 per year
and never use up the bandwidth available at that price. ...

I have the Newsguy $24/year (3GB/mo) & always have "bandwidth" rolling over.

Newsguy retains for 900 days, but even it I knew how to search them, I'd
still use Google, which retains "forever".

And I'm with the OP in being annoyed by Google's including other
newsgroups when I say to search RCM only. It's not a very subtle
problem and I assume that it's intentional (i.e., a "feature"), but I
wonder what the thinking was. I suppose it was "We know better than you
what you want".

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-06, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 11/6/2012 4:50 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
Your problem is google and the user interface which it offers, not the
usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking itself.

What you want is a real newsreader program and to sign up with
one of many news servers which don't force you to read via a web
browser. ...

But, do any of them allow you to search for posts older than what is
cached on your machine?

Yes -- slrn does. It just takes a bit longer to go back through
all that information. It is quicker if you are searching just on things
in the headers.

I can't look up the command to extend searches to unread
articles, because I am currently in an external editor composing this
reply, but it is there. I don't remember it simply because I very
seldom use it. Same with reading earlier articles in the current
thread.

I use Thunderbird & it doesn't. I have to use
Google to search way back.

Check for slrn available for your OS.

A quick search for "slrn for Windows" using DuckDuckGo (a search
engine which does not track you and which does not hit you with ads)
gives this URL for the first hit:

http://arcorhome.de/newshamster/micha/eslrn.htm

For a news server -- I use newsguyhttp://www.newsguy.com
which can be read either via a web based interface, or via your choice
of newsreader. They even have a newsreader free for download for
Windows systems if you don't already have a preference. They have a
fee, depending on your bandwidth requirements. I pay $99.00 per year
and never use up the bandwidth available at that price. ...

I have the Newsguy $24/year (3GB/mo) & always have "bandwidth" rolling over.

As do I -- even when I do some things which chew up bandwidth.
I read a few other newsgroups -- not just rec.crafts.metalworking -- and
I've accumulated something over 3 terabytes roll-over bandwidth. I
could go wild in the binary newsgroups for quite a while before I use
that up. :-)

Newsguy retains for 900 days, but even it I knew how to search them, I'd
still use Google, which retains "forever".

And I'm with the OP in being annoyed by Google's including other
newsgroups when I say to search RCM only. It's not a very subtle
problem and I assume that it's intentional (i.e., a "feature"), but I
wonder what the thinking was. I suppose it was "We know better than you
what you want".

The only time I tried using google to read a newsgroup it felt
like trying to type in mittens, so I gave up on it rather quickly. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/7/2012 2:32 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Using the "advanced groups search", and specifying RCM in the "group"
field returns only RCM results for me (I used the generic term "metal"
as my search string).

http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...l=en&q=&hl=en&

That's the page that I use and the way that I do it. Often just RCM
posts are returned. But often the CNC group is included and sometimes
other, totally unrelated, groups. To be clear: this is when
"rec.crafts.metalworking" is specified in the "group" field, and it is
the only group specified.

I wonder what the algorithm is, but I haven't a hope that it will ever
change. Except maybe by accident.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 11/7/2012 2:32 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Using the "advanced groups search", and specifying RCM in the "group"
field returns only RCM results for me (I used the generic term "metal"
as my search string).

http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...l=en&q=&hl=en&

That's the page that I use and the way that I do it. Often just RCM
posts are returned. But often the CNC group is included and sometimes
other, totally unrelated, groups. To be clear: this is when
"rec.crafts.metalworking" is specified in the "group" field, and it is
the only group specified.

I wonder what the algorithm is, but I haven't a hope that it will ever
change. Except maybe by accident.

You're seeing the crap that's crossposted from those other groups.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-08, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 11/7/2012 2:32 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Using the "advanced groups search", and specifying RCM in the "group"
field returns only RCM results for me (I used the generic term "metal"
as my search string).

http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...l=en&q=&hl=en&

That's the page that I use and the way that I do it. Often just RCM
posts are returned. But often the CNC group is included and sometimes
other, totally unrelated, groups. To be clear: this is when
"rec.crafts.metalworking" is specified in the "group" field, and it is
the only group specified.

Hmmm .... the cnc group is often cross-posted to
rec.crafts.metalworking so you may be seeing it because of the
cross-posting. To eliminate that, you would need a killfile which
allows you to specify extra newsgroups in the "Newsgroups: " header.

Cross-posting is the poster (or at least the original poster)
saying "Show this in this list of newsgroups, not just the one which I
am posting it in."

I wonder what the algorithm is, but I haven't a hope that it will ever
change. Except maybe by accident.

If you had mentioned the name of (one of the) extra newsgroups
before, I would likely have thought of cross-posting before.

Does the google interface allow you to look at the headers, and
in particular the "Newsgroups: " header?

Enjoy,
DoN.