Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT bought an economical car

A while ago, I mentioned that my pick-up truck, while very comfortable
and capable, was a fuel hog. Since I have to drive a lot nowadays, and
mostly just to commute to my warehouse, conduct business and not move
any machinery, a car would suffice.

I bought a 1995 Volkswagen Passat with 122,000 miles on it, for $750
plus buyer premium, in an auction.

So far so good, it drives great. It also does about 27 MPG, which is
far better than my pick-up. It also looks decent and not rusted
out. I put about 150 miles on it already and I am very happy.

It has only two problems, one is that the heater does not work, and
another is that the cruise control does not work.

I will start with the heater first, this being the middle of October
in Illinois.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, and I calculated that my weekly savings (gas plus wear on the
pick-up truck) will be about $100 per week.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 21:52:20 -0500, Ignoramus28557
wrote:

A while ago, I mentioned that my pick-up truck, while very comfortable
and capable, was a fuel hog. Since I have to drive a lot nowadays, and
mostly just to commute to my warehouse, conduct business and not move
any machinery, a car would suffice.

I bought a 1995 Volkswagen Passat with 122,000 miles on it, for $750
plus buyer premium, in an auction.

So far so good, it drives great. It also does about 27 MPG, which is
far better than my pick-up. It also looks decent and not rusted
out. I put about 150 miles on it already and I am very happy.

It has only two problems, one is that the heater does not work, and
another is that the cruise control does not work.

I will start with the heater first, this being the middle of October
in Illinois.

Do you really...really need cruise control?

Ive got a defective unit in my Ford Ranger...which was broken when I
got the truck. Some 130k ago. Havent missed it a bit.

heater..that would be a very good thing to have in Illinois.

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered
by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A while ago, I mentioned that my pick-up truck, while very comfortable
and capable, was a fuel hog. Since I have to drive a lot nowadays, and
mostly just to commute to my warehouse, conduct business and not move
any machinery, a car would suffice.

I bought a 1995 Volkswagen Passat with 122,000 miles on it, for $750
plus buyer premium, in an auction.

So far so good, it drives great. It also does about 27 MPG, which is
far better than my pick-up. It also looks decent and not rusted
out. I put about 150 miles on it already and I am very happy.

It has only two problems, one is that the heater does not work, and
another is that the cruise control does not work.

I will start with the heater first, this being the middle of October
in Illinois.

Do you really...really need cruise control?

Yes, I do, I may start thinking about something, and forget about the
speed, and end up speeding accidentally. I much prefer driving with a
cruise control.

Ive got a defective unit in my Ford Ranger...which was broken when I
got the truck. Some 130k ago. Havent missed it a bit.

heater..that would be a very good thing to have in Illinois.

Without question, I need that, or else the windows will fog up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I use mine all the time, even on short trips to town, but especially
on the road. It helps me avoid speeding tickets since I'd rather
drive at 120+ on the open stretches. bseg

heater..that would be a very good thing to have in Illinois.

In the winter, heaters are good things to have anywhere.

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

With my truck weighing in some 600 lbs heavier than it did when it
came from the factory....driving in excess of the speed limit costs a
significant amount of money. This not including me and the
dogs...shrug

If folks are unable to observe simple speed limits...I have no pity
for them.

heater..that would be a very good thing to have in Illinois.

In the winter, heaters are good things to have anywhere.

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered
by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mehfil-E-Ghazal

https://www.facebook.com/MehfilEGhazalPune

Like for more footage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28557 wrote:
A while ago, I mentioned that my pick-up truck, while very comfortable
and capable, was a fuel hog. Since I have to drive a lot nowadays, and
mostly just to commute to my warehouse, conduct business and not move
any machinery, a car would suffice.

I bought a 1995 Volkswagen Passat with 122,000 miles on it, for $750
plus buyer premium, in an auction.

So far so good, it drives great. It also does about 27 MPG, which is
far better than my pick-up. It also looks decent and not rusted
out. I put about 150 miles on it already and I am very happy.

It has only two problems, one is that the heater does not work,

What doesn't work?
No fan? No fan speeds? No water flow through the core? Leaking core?

and
another is that the cruise control does not work.

I will start with the heater first, this being the middle of October
in Illinois.

Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-15, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus28557 wrote:
A while ago, I mentioned that my pick-up truck, while very comfortable
and capable, was a fuel hog. Since I have to drive a lot nowadays, and
mostly just to commute to my warehouse, conduct business and not move
any machinery, a car would suffice.

I bought a 1995 Volkswagen Passat with 122,000 miles on it, for $750
plus buyer premium, in an auction.

So far so good, it drives great. It also does about 27 MPG, which is
far better than my pick-up. It also looks decent and not rusted
out. I put about 150 miles on it already and I am very happy.

It has only two problems, one is that the heater does not work,

What doesn't work?
No fan? No fan speeds? No water flow through the core? Leaking core?

The air does flow, but it is not hot, at best it is a bit warm.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:10:37 -0500, Ignoramus9672

On 2012-10-15, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus28557 wrote:
A while ago, I mentioned that my pick-up truck, while very comfortable
and capable, was a fuel hog. Since I have to drive a lot nowadays, and
mostly just to commute to my warehouse, conduct business and not move
any machinery, a car would suffice.

I bought a 1995 Volkswagen Passat with 122,000 miles on it, for $750
plus buyer premium, in an auction.

So far so good, it drives great. It also does about 27 MPG, which is
far better than my pick-up. It also looks decent and not rusted
out. I put about 150 miles on it already and I am very happy.

It has only two problems, one is that the heater does not work,

What doesn't work?
No fan? No fan speeds? No water flow through the core? Leaking core?

The air does flow, but it is not hot, at best it is a bit warm.

Check to see if all the vent duct plates move when you cycle through
the various options. You can hear little doors closing and the air
circulating in the different vents as you work. I don't know if the
Passat is manual or vac controlled, so it could be a vacuum motor,
switch, or tubing problem. And feel the box which houses the heater
core. It should be hot if water is circulating in it. Some vehicles
have shutoff valves added by the previous owner, so look for that,
too, if you haven't already. Old Dodge pickemups had cables to their
shutoff valves.

If all that seems OK, you'll probably have to remove one of the heater
core hoses and see if you can blow through the core. Sometimes heater
hoses collapse internally, sometimes cores plug up. Blow air through
those, too. Both should be easy to exhale through once the coolant is
gone from them.

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our
best and learn the most in the new situation.
Peter McWilliams, Life 101

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-15, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus28557 wrote:
[...]

First things first - is the engine warming up? If the thermostat is
bad the engine temp might never get over about 110F - which will not
produce much heat.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-15, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus28557 wrote:
A while ago, I mentioned that my pick-up truck, while very comfortable
and capable, was a fuel hog. Since I have to drive a lot nowadays, and
mostly just to commute to my warehouse, conduct business and not move
any machinery, a car would suffice.

I bought a 1995 Volkswagen Passat with 122,000 miles on it, for $750
plus buyer premium, in an auction.

So far so good, it drives great. It also does about 27 MPG, which is
far better than my pick-up. It also looks decent and not rusted
out. I put about 150 miles on it already and I am very happy.

It has only two problems, one is that the heater does not work,

What doesn't work?
No fan? No fan speeds? No water flow through the core? Leaking core?

The air does flow, but it is not hot, at best it is a bit warm.

Okay, then it's either a water flow problem or an air flow problem.

You have to see if there is a heater valve and it's opening all the
way, and the core isn't clogged with crap - blow air through it
forwards and backwards and see what you knock loose or get through.

Some cars leave the water flow through the heater core on 24/7, and
control the air going through the heater box to go through or around
the heater core when set to vent, with either a vacuum actuator or a
little motorized operator. Is your damper door stuck?

Is the heater core coming up to operating temperature? Either the
core is clogged, or the valve isn't opening.

If the core is clogged, or worse leaking, all depends on the car as to
how easy it is to replace it. A lot of GM cars and trucks aren't that
bad, and most of the Asian & European cars have figured out it's not
wise to antagonize your customers with huge repair bills for stupid
simple stuff. BUT...

Most Fords it's a Royal Pain In The Ass to change the heater core -
they mount the Heater box to the assembly line and build the ENTIRE
FRICKIN CAR around it - and you have to reverse that procedure to
change it. That job you farm out to someone who knows all the tricks
to partly disassemble, cut and fold as needed, and slide the bad core
out and new core in through a crack - every model is slightly
different.

Fans, if it works on High but not on some of the other speeds, first
thing you check is the resistor pack. You'll usually find it in the
direct air blast of the fan output, sometimes in the scroll housing
itself. Open wirewound resistors that burn out and starts dropping
the slower speeds one or two at a time.

If +12V power isn't making it to the resistor pack on certain speeds,
then it's the Fan Switch in the heater control panel.

Or the fancy- schmancy Temperature-Control thermostat gidgie in a
luxury car. Adding complex electronics is always fun when the car
gets older.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2012-10-15, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus28557 wrote:
[...]

Ahhhh!!!!

I jumped into this thread late...

However, I'll bet you a buck your Passat has a 'cabin air filter'. It
filters all the air feeding the HVAC. If loaded up, it explains the low
airflow issue. These things are 'out of sight, out of mind', and throw
old timers who don't know of them curves.

I'm not familiar enough with VW's to tell you where yours is off hand.
Look in your owners manual, or Google for more info.

They're usually easy to replace, and most all DIY parts stores now carry
them.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ahhhh!!!!

I jumped into this thread late...

However, I'll bet you a buck your Passat has a 'cabin air filter'. It
filters all the air feeding the HVAC. If loaded up, it explains the low
airflow issue. These things are 'out of sight, out of mind', and throw
old timers who don't know of them curves.

Snipped...

Erik

Cringe... re-reading the thread indicates that I mis-read the all
important part about you having sufficient airflow... sorry about that.

Other posters have you well on the way to a solution!

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-15, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus28557 wrote:
[...]

Bruce, yes, I will check along those lines. In any case, the repair
should not be too expensive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Bruce L.
Bergman (munged human readable)
writes

On 2012-10-15, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus28557 wrote:
[...]

On my old Passat It was a major job to replace the core. I had to take
out the whole dash to get to it; never quite fit as well after,
Fans, if it works on High but not on some of the other speeds, first
thing you check is the resistor pack. You'll usually find it in the
direct air blast of the fan output, sometimes in the scroll housing
itself. Open wirewound resistors that burn out and starts dropping
the slower speeds one or two at a time.

If +12V power isn't making it to the resistor pack on certain speeds,
then it's the Fan Switch in the heater control panel.

Or the fancy- schmancy Temperature-Control thermostat gidgie in a
luxury car. Adding complex electronics is always fun when the car
gets older.

-- Bruce --

--
Chris Holford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-15, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus28557 wrote:
A while ago, I mentioned that my pick-up truck, while very comfortable
and capable, was a fuel hog. Since I have to drive a lot nowadays, and
mostly just to commute to my warehouse, conduct business and not move
any machinery, a car would suffice.

I bought a 1995 Volkswagen Passat with 122,000 miles on it, for $750
plus buyer premium, in an auction.

So far so good, it drives great. It also does about 27 MPG, which is
far better than my pick-up. It also looks decent and not rusted
out. I put about 150 miles on it already and I am very happy.

It has only two problems, one is that the heater does not work,

What doesn't work?
No fan? No fan speeds? No water flow through the core? Leaking core?

The air does flow, but it is not hot, at best it is a bit warm.

Plugged heater core..or something is obstructing the heater core/fan

Or the valve under the hood at the heater core in/outs are plugged

Or..it could..could be missing the thermostat...but thats less likely

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered
by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-15, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus28557 wrote:
[...]

A lot of VW's had a "safety stat" that would lock open if it EVER
overheated. I would check engine operating temp first - if not up to
about 170-ish replace the stat.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/14/2012 10:52 PM, Ignoramus28557 wrote:
... this being the middle of October in Illinois.

That's interesting - it's the middle of October here in Massachusetts,
too. G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's August, in NY.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 10/14/2012 10:52 PM, Ignoramus28557 wrote:
... this being the middle of October in Illinois.

That's interesting - it's the middle of October here in Massachusetts,
too. G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:11:03 -0500, Ignoramus9672

On 2012-10-15, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 10/14/2012 10:52 PM, Ignoramus28557 wrote:
... this being the middle of October in Illinois.

That's interesting - it's the middle of October here in Massachusetts,
too. G

What a coincidence@

Wow, ditto here, but it's the start of Summer in Oz...

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our
best and learn the most in the new situation.
Peter McWilliams, Life 101
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-15, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 10/14/2012 10:52 PM, Ignoramus28557 wrote:
... this being the middle of October in Illinois.

That's interesting - it's the middle of October here in Massachusetts,
too. G

What a coincidence@

Wow, ditto here, but it's the start of Summer in Oz...

In the story "October the First Is Too Late", by Fred Hoyle,
people don't get to take for granted that dates are the same
around the world. It's been a number of decades since I read
the book, but I recall Hoyle posited time slips of days, and
later of centuries or millennia, which I didn't find plausible.

http://www.mprinstitute.org/vaclav/Hoyle.htm
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/749363.October_the_First_Is_Too_Late

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James Waldby" wrote in message
In the story "October the First Is Too Late", by Fred Hoyle,
people don't get to take for granted that dates are the same
around the world. It's been a number of decades since I read
the book, but I recall Hoyle posited time slips of days, and
later of centuries or millennia, which I didn't find plausible.
jiw

Some Greek and Russian Orthodox countries used the ancient Roman
calendar until after 1900:
http://www.webexhibits.org/calendars...countries.html

If you happen to become unstuck in time:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/juliangregcalconv.html
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-15, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 10/14/2012 10:52 PM, Ignoramus28557 wrote:
... this being the middle of October in Illinois.

That's interesting - it's the middle of October here in Massachusetts,
too. G

What a coincidence@

Wow, ditto here, but it's the start of Summer in Oz...

In the story "October the First Is Too Late", by Fred Hoyle,
people don't get to take for granted that dates are the same
around the world. It's been a number of decades since I read
the book, but I recall Hoyle posited time slips of days, and
later of centuries or millennia, which I didn't find plausible.

http://www.mprinstitute.org/vaclav/Hoyle.htm

Very strange concept.

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our
best and learn the most in the new situation.
Peter McWilliams, Life 101

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 21:52:20 -0500
Ignoramus28557 wrote:

snip
It has only two problems, one is that the heater does not work...

If you have the V6, this post may be of interest:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61...ng-system.html

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 14:30:45 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 21:52:20 -0500
Ignoramus28557 wrote:

snip
It has only two problems, one is that the heater does not work...

If you have the V6, this post may be of interest:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61...ng-system.html

Sounds like the Germans made a hash out of designing the coolant
system if it had to be bled in such odeous ways.

Btw...any one care to give me a few hints on a 97 Saturn overheating
problem?

If I pull the hose off the upper end of the engine..the return
line..and put a garden hose in it to keep the radiator filled while
running..I only get the volume of the garden hose back out of the
engine while its running...

It just spurts and sputters a very small amount of water from the
engine without the hose.

I replaced the water pump 8 months ago..... Autozone.

Did it fail?

How much volume should a saturn water pump actually push with water in
the radiator? More than spurts and ?

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered
by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 21:52:20 -0500
Ignoramus28557 wrote:

snip
[...]

Which model and engine?

Is the thermostat installed when you do this test? If so is it in
correctly? The thermal bulb needs to face the block side of the system.

Pull the thermostat out and try the test again.

Next hit a parts store and grab a coolant system pressure tester. (they
are loaner/rental tools and AZ should have one)
Test it to see if it holds pressure as it is also possible it has an
internal leak causing an overheat.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 21:52:20 -0500
Ignoramus28557 wrote:

snip
[...]

SL2. No idea of what the motor is. The SL2s all appear to be the same
4 cylinder.

Is the thermostat installed when you do this test? If so is it in
correctly? The thermal bulb needs to face the block side of the system.

Pull the thermostat out and try the test again.

I had to take the termostat apart. The bulb element is part of the
intake connection. When you buy a thermostat for the car..it includes
the hose bib.

Next hit a parts store and grab a coolant system pressure tester. (they
are loaner/rental tools and AZ should have one)
Test it to see if it holds pressure as it is also possible it has an
internal leak causing an overheat.

Ill do that.

No water showing in the oil at all and no water or oil coming out the
exhaust....so that leaves out most head gasket /cracked block issues

It acts like the impeller on the pump simply isnt doing much of
anything.

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered
by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 21:52:20 -0500
Ignoramus28557 wrote:

snip
[...]

SL2 is the twin cam

[...]

I have had several cars with that problem.

The plastic impeller on the 2.5 liter V6 Mystique had a habit of
splitting at about 6000 engine RPM. The metal ones were fine. I didn't
know which mine had when I bought it, so I took it up to about 6500
RPM under accelleration, and the temperatue went way up shortly after.
Replaced with a metal impeller plug.

On my '63 Valiant or my '69 dart - cannot remember any more which one,
I used to have intermittent overheating problems. It ended up, after
replacing thermostat several times, and checking anything that could
POSSIBLY be causing the overheating, I pulled off the water pump - and
under carefull inspection, found evidence that the (if I remember
correctly)alloy impeller had turned on the steel shaft. I warmed up
the impeller with a torch and it almost fell off. Put in a new pump,
and no more overheating

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Check your E-Mail

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

If you have the V6, this post may be of interest:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61...ng-system.html

Yeah, I think this has even been on Car Talk a couple
times.

Jon