Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bender

I want to bend some cold rolled 3/4" round rod. I just need to bend them to
degrees less than 45 degrees. Would a bench bender with a long arm, or a
hydraulic jack placed under some I beams like is in a press work best. This
does not have to be precise, just close. I was wondering with the long arm
bender if I would end up with much of a radius or a lot of springback.

The pieces would then be welded together afterward.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:44:32 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I want to bend some cold rolled 3/4" round rod. I just need to bend them to
degrees less than 45 degrees. Would a bench bender with a long arm, or a
hydraulic jack placed under some I beams like is in a press work best. This
does not have to be precise, just close. I was wondering with the long arm
bender if I would end up with much of a radius or a lot of springback.

The pieces would then be welded together afterward.

Steve

Warm it up with a torch (a Rosebud Tip if you have one) or a Forge (a
stack of Fire Bricks and a Propane weed-burner will do) to red to
soften it up, and use a floor-mount or bench-mount bender.

Exactly how hot, you'll have to experiment a bit.

With 3/4" stock it's probably could be bent cold but would take a hell
of a cheater bar and the bend would be very uneven and the springback
would be pronounced - and the stretched outer half of the bend could
have the beginnings of a fracture.

Heat it up and it'll bend like butter, nice and even radius, and be
structurally sound.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman wrote

Heat it up and it'll bend like butter, nice and even radius, and be
structurally sound.

-- Bruce --

This will never be put under force, just vibration, so the HAZ is moot. I
was thinking of using heat, but I want these to be exactly repeatable for a
nice finished product. Plus, it would cost less in the long run production
wise. These are for the screen for a gold nozzle intake. This has to look
good, just for my satisfaction, but bent rebar would do the job. I want
these to look good and last a long time.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 07:37:02 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Bruce L. Bergman wrote

Heat it up and it'll bend like butter, nice and even radius, and be
structurally sound.

-- Bruce --

This will never be put under force, just vibration, so the HAZ is moot. I
was thinking of using heat, but I want these to be exactly repeatable for a
nice finished product. Plus, it would cost less in the long run production
wise. These are for the screen for a gold nozzle intake. This has to look
good, just for my satisfaction, but bent rebar would do the job. I want
these to look good and last a long time.

Steve

If you're bending this you do NOT want to use Rebar unless you special
order it exactly the way you want - If you want it to be easily bent
and or welded, clean new steel with no "surprises" inside, or
hardenable like Tool Steel, you have to specify that ahead of time.

Since it's usually made from re-melted scrap steel the composition of
off-the-shelf Rebar can be all over the map with a lot of carbon and
other additives from it's former formulation that you don't want - and
if the melt wasn't thorough you end up with hard bits from it's former
life such as tungsten carbide saw teeth, ball bearings, and lathe
inserts cast inside too...

If you will be mass producing these clips, I'd get a small natural gas
and forced-air Blacksmith's Forge and warm them up in that, then you
can have the distance and bend angle stops on the stand bender all
pre-set. Insert the bar with tongs to the stop, turn the handle till
it hits the stop, bend is done at one end. Repeat for the other end.

Warm it up again and get out that Big Ol' Anvil and Hammer if you need
to make any adjustments to match the template. Then warm to straw
yellow and plunge into oil or water to quench if you want to harden it
as much as the metallurgy allows (but it can get brittle), or set it
aside to air cool and anneal.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_%28Futurama%29

I was weak and couldn't resist...

Pipe Bender Bald Demon Metalworking 2 March 24th 07 06:12 PM
Metal Bender/Scroll bender Steve B Metalworking 8 February 18th 06 09:08 PM
tube bender a6016 Metalworking 6 February 10th 06 11:45 PM
CNC Wire Bender (or Former) Donnie Barnes Metalworking 6 November 21st 05 07:51 PM
FA Roll Bender tbone Metalworking 0 August 20th 05 04:07 AM