Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default bender

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:44:32 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I want to bend some cold rolled 3/4" round rod. I just need to bend them to
degrees less than 45 degrees. Would a bench bender with a long arm, or a
hydraulic jack placed under some I beams like is in a press work best. This
does not have to be precise, just close. I was wondering with the long arm
bender if I would end up with much of a radius or a lot of springback.

The pieces would then be welded together afterward.

Steve

Warm it up with a torch (a Rosebud Tip if you have one) or a Forge (a
stack of Fire Bricks and a Propane weed-burner will do) to red to
soften it up, and use a floor-mount or bench-mount bender.

Exactly how hot, you'll have to experiment a bit.

With 3/4" stock it's probably could be bent cold but would take a hell
of a cheater bar and the bend would be very uneven and the springback
would be pronounced - and the stretched outer half of the bend could
have the beginnings of a fracture.

Heat it up and it'll bend like butter, nice and even radius, and be
structurally sound.

-- Bruce --