Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Power steering experience

Had a work truck once. The power steering was leaking. I had a can of
something other....... brake fluid, tranny fluid, probably. I just wanted
it to make the day, and then I'd change it.

I put the fluid in there, and the leaks stopped immediately. Any idea of
what it was? Anyone have a similar experience?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 08:03:26 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Had a work truck once. The power steering was leaking. I had a can of
something other....... brake fluid, tranny fluid, probably. I just wanted
it to make the day, and then I'd change it.

I put the fluid in there, and the leaks stopped immediately. Any idea of
what it was? Anyone have a similar experience?

Steve

There are several "Mechanic in a Can" solutions that contain various
solvents to swell the seals and make it stop leaking - for a while.

Problem is, when it starts leaking again it's going to be even worse.
Stop using it and the seals stop swelling, it'll be a gusher.

They are a last-ditch solution to get through the week and gather all
the pieces, and then you can rebuild the power steering system. Or
for transmissions, till you can save up the money to go get it rebuilt
properly, and hope it holds that long.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And SOMETIMES they last longer than the vehicle they are in, so you
never need to do the proper repair.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote

And SOMETIMES they last longer than the vehicle they are in, so you
never need to do the proper repair.

This one lasted until I sold the business. About three years, IIRC, and
never had to add fluid again.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Had a work truck once. The power steering was leaking. I had a can of
something other....... brake fluid, tranny fluid, probably. I just wanted
it to make the day, and then I'd change it.

I put the fluid in there, and the leaks stopped immediately. Any idea of
what it was? Anyone have a similar experience?

Steve

There are several "Mechanic in a Can" solutions that contain various
solvents to swell the seals and make it stop leaking - for a while.

Problem is, when it starts leaking again it's going to be even worse.
Stop using it and the seals stop swelling, it'll be a gusher.

They are a last-ditch solution to get through the week and gather all
the pieces, and then you can rebuild the power steering system. Or
for transmissions, till you can save up the money to go get it rebuilt
properly, and hope it holds that long.

just curious, does this stuff make a future correct repair more expensive,
like with the goo in a can for flat tires?