Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Deburring inside hole in AL "U" channel

I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel.
The hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of
the other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4"
hole is easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, September 28, 2012 12:02:45 AM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel.

The hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of

the other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4"

hole is easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

There's a hand tool for that. I don't recall its brand name. It's a hooked scraper that pivots on a handle. It's like your dentist's tooth scraper, but the pivot makes it particularly useful for deburring because the pivot mostly maintains a set angle of its edge against the work.

Doug
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel.
The hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of
the other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4"
hole is easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

I would thing hitting it from the side with a small sanding drum or
stone on a die grinder would do the job.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel. The
hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of the
other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4" hole is
easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

Depending on the burr, a sharp chisel?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/28/2012 4:01 AM, DGoncz wrote:
On Friday, September 28, 2012 12:02:45 AM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel.

The hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of

the other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4"

hole is easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

There's a hand tool for that. I don't recall its brand name. It's a hooked scraper that pivots on a handle. It's like your dentist's tooth scraper, but the pivot makes it particularly useful for deburring because the pivot mostly maintains a set angle of its edge against the work.

Doug

Sure, I have a few...they won't fit through the 1/4" hole. Remember,
this is a 1-1/4" "C" channel with the holes in the legs, opposite each
other. There is no room.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/28/2012 9:43 AM, Dennis wrote:
"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel. The
hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of the
other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4" hole is
easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

Depending on the burr, a sharp chisel?

I haven't made any parts yet and the count will probably be less that
100. To take your suggestion one step further, maybe a razor knife.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel. The
hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of the
other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4" hole is
easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

You want a Cogsdill Burraway.
http://www.cogsdill.com/products/deburring/

It has a rod the size of your hole and a small spring-loaded trapezoidal
blade on the tip.
Used in a drill press. On the way in, it deburrs the outside til the blade
springs in. On the way out, it deburs the inside.

I actually have one in 1/2 in, but I couldn't find it if my life depended on
it.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
Sure, I have a few...they won't fit through the 1/4" hole.
Remember, this is a 1-1/4" "C" channel with the holes in the legs,
opposite each other. There is no room.

Could you make a custom longer bit from music wire?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Sure, I have a few...they won't fit through the 1/4" hole. Remember,
this is a 1-1/4" "C" channel with the holes in the legs, opposite each
other. There is no room.

Reach through the 1/4" hole with a small countersink, and it can deburr
the 1/8" hole.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:

Sure, I have a few...they won't fit through the 1/4" hole. Remember,
this is a 1-1/4" "C" channel with the holes in the legs, opposite each
other. There is no room.

Reach through the 1/4" hole with a small countersink, and it can deburr
the 1/8" hole.

Jon

The hole I need to deburr is 1/2" and it's opposite a 1/4" hole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel. The
hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of the
other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4" hole is
easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

You want a Cogsdill Burraway.
http://www.cogsdill.com/products/deburring/

It has a rod the size of your hole and a small spring-loaded trapezoidal
blade on the tip.
Used in a drill press. On the way in, it deburrs the outside til the blade
springs in. On the way out, it deburs the inside.

I actually have one in 1/2 in, but I couldn't find it if my life depended
on it.

Paul K. Dickman

Yep, that's the ticket! Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-28, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel.
The hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of
the other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4"
hole is easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

Have you looked at the Vargus-Shaviv deburring tools? They have
replaceable swivel hooks in a red plastic handle with ground sharp edges
for the deburring. Most of them are for one edge at a time, but there
is one where the hook forms a 'V' which will debur both inside and
outside of a hole at the same time.

Look at MSC number 51538353. The photo does not look quite
right, but the description does. They may be using the same photo for
several of the tools. (And the handle has changed since I got mine. :-)

Or, MSC number 51538395.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-28, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 9/28/2012 4:01 AM, DGoncz wrote:
On Friday, September 28, 2012 12:02:45 AM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel.

The hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of

the other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4"

hole is easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

There's a hand tool for that. I don't recall its brand name. It's a
hooked scraper that pivots on a handle. It's like your dentist's tooth
scraper, but the pivot makes it particularly useful for deburring
because the pivot mostly maintains a set angle of its edge against the
work.

Vargus-Shaviv

[ ... ]

Sure, I have a few...they won't fit through the 1/4" hole. Remember,
this is a 1-1/4" "C" channel with the holes in the legs, opposite each
other. There is no room.

You *have* to do it from the 1/4" side? No access from the side
where the 1/2" hole is?

It is a matter of the right bits in that tool. The one you want
looks sort of like this.

=====[][][]--\
\/

so you put the right-hand end through the hole, pull it to the side so
the edge of the metal bottoms in the 'V' and move your hand in a quick
circle.

The part to the left is the ratcheted extension shank which goes
into the handle, and middle is the quick-release for changing the bits.

If you already have several of the handles, just order the hooks
for front/back deburring on holes in sheet metal.

I would go down and grab mine and photograph it to send you a
detailed look, except that I'm recovering from a fire in the shop, and
everything is rusting and hard to find.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-28, Jon Elson wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:

Sure, I have a few...they won't fit through the 1/4" hole. Remember,
this is a 1-1/4" "C" channel with the holes in the legs, opposite each
other. There is no room.

Reach through the 1/4" hole with a small countersink, and it can deburr
the 1/8" hole.

I thought that the second hole was a 1/2" hole, and the 1/8" was
the thickness of the metal.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/28/2012 3:26 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2012-09-28, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

THAT'S cool, I'll check with the machine shop supply store near me.
I've only used a couple of styles of the little bits.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/28/2012 3:18 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2012-09-28, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

Holy CRAP! They want $27! Locally, they are $11. I guess I'm lucky to
have this store 5 minutes away. And, they have a lot of surplus stuff
like tool bits and abrasives dirt cheap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/28/2012 01:01 AM, DGoncz wrote:
On Friday, September 28, 2012 12:02:45 AM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel.

The hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of

the other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4"

hole is easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

There's a hand tool for that. I don't recall its brand name. [snip]

I've got a tool like that, it's made by a company called Shaviv.

I usually just end up chucking up a unibit to clean up the edges,
though, but then you get a bigger chamfer.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel. The
hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of the
other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4" hole is
easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

I've seen broadheads that open up on impact. I wonder how difficult it
would be to make a deburring tool that could go through the 1/2" hole and
open up enough for deburring, then retract. Maybe spring retract and
cutting edge would extend like on as centrifugal clutch.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-28, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

Im glad I got my Vargus-Shaviv kit from a multimillion dollar company
that went out of business. The nice gold anodized handle one..with
all the accessories.

Too bad the company went tits up. But! I got my deburing tool for
free!!

(and a host of other Stuff)
Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:

Sure, I have a few...they won't fit through the 1/4" hole. Remember,
this is a 1-1/4" "C" channel with the holes in the legs, opposite each
other. There is no room.

Reach through the 1/4" hole with a small countersink, and it can deburr
the 1/8" hole.

Jon

The hole I need to deburr is 1/2" and it's opposite a 1/4" hole.

Whoops, misread the original post. Yup, deburring the back of the
larger hole can't be done that way. But, there are deburring tools
that will do the back of the 1/2" hole easily. I think one of
my Royal deburring tools will do it quite well.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/29/2012 11:42 AM, RogerN wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

I need to deburr the inside of a 1/2" hole in a 1/8" AL "C" channel. The
hole is in the center of one leg with a 1/4" hole in the center of the
other leg. The channel is 1-1/4" Deburring the inside of the 1/4" hole is
easy.

If the volume was high enough, I would punch both holes but...

I've seen broadheads that open up on impact. I wonder how difficult it
would be to make a deburring tool that could go through the 1/2" hole and
open up enough for deburring, then retract. Maybe spring retract and
cutting edge would extend like on as centrifugal clutch.

RogerN

Yep, they make them already.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/28/2012 3:26 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
... I'm recovering from a fire in the shop,

Oh, no! That sucks.

and everything is rusting and hard to find.

My condolences ... HSM's worst nightmare.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-30, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 9/28/2012 3:26 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
... I'm recovering from a fire in the shop,

Oh, no! That sucks.

and everything is rusting and hard to find.

My condolences ... HSM's worst nightmare.

Thanks for the sympathy.

The insurance company is bringing in someone who works at
machine tool recovery to pull them out, clean and analyze them, and see
what can be made to keep working and what will need to be replaced.

Again, thanks,
DoN.