Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can kids play with this go cart

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/306.jpg.html

YERF DOG GO CART W/5 HP GASOLINE POWERED TECUMSEH MOTOR DRIVE

My 11 year old keeps asking for a go cart, I bought this one at
auction, and I am wondering if this can be used by kids, with proper
supervision of course. It seems to benidely done, with the motor
behind the driver, roll cage etc.

But I do not know much about go carts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:21:41 -0500, Ignoramus25449
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/306.jpg.html

YERF DOG GO CART W/5 HP GASOLINE POWERED TECUMSEH MOTOR DRIVE

My 11 year old keeps asking for a go cart, I bought this one at
auction, and I am wondering if this can be used by kids, with proper
supervision of course. It seems to benidely done, with the motor
behind the driver, roll cage etc.

But I do not know much about go carts.

I bought my son one just like this when he was 8. Must have been OK,
he's 30 now.

After the first test run, he wanted to make it go faster. We worked
together in the shop many nights upgrading that old cart. He was
making parts on my bridgeport for it at 10 or 11. This worked too,
he's now a master CNC machinist in the prototype shop of a large
industrial company.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/306.jpg.html

YERF DOG GO CART W/5 HP GASOLINE POWERED TECUMSEH MOTOR DRIVE

My 11 year old keeps asking for a go cart, I bought this one at
auction, and I am wondering if this can be used by kids, with proper
supervision of course. It seems to benidely done, with the motor
behind the driver, roll cage etc.

But I do not know much about go carts.

I bought my son one just like this when he was 8. Must have been OK,
he's 30 now.

After the first test run, he wanted to make it go faster. We worked
together in the shop many nights upgrading that old cart. He was
making parts on my bridgeport for it at 10 or 11. This worked too,
he's now a master CNC machinist in the prototype shop of a large
industrial company.

karl

It depends on the kid. Two of mine would want to start taking it apart, and
understanding what makes it work, and how to fix it. The other two want to
see just how fast it will go, how fast it will corner, how high it will go
over a ramp, and how much punishment it will take before failing. One of
them ran into the other's ATV with brother on it. Luckily it only severely
bruised his leg instead of worse. They just have to find the failure point
on everything, which either makes them future engineers or candidates for
"Jackass" TV show.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/306.jpg.html

YERF DOG GO CART W/5 HP GASOLINE POWERED TECUMSEH MOTOR DRIVE

My 11 year old keeps asking for a go cart, I bought this one at
auction, and I am wondering if this can be used by kids, with proper
supervision of course. It seems to benidely done, with the motor
behind the driver, roll cage etc.

But I do not know much about go carts.

I bought my son one just like this when he was 8. Must have been OK,
he's 30 now.

After the first test run, he wanted to make it go faster. We worked
together in the shop many nights upgrading that old cart. He was
making parts on my bridgeport for it at 10 or 11. This worked too,
he's now a master CNC machinist in the prototype shop of a large
industrial company.

karl

This is great to know, and I very well am aware that your Kid is
really great, I hope that mine will also turn out good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus25449" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/306.jpg.html

YERF DOG GO CART W/5 HP GASOLINE POWERED TECUMSEH MOTOR DRIVE

My 11 year old keeps asking for a go cart, I bought this one at
auction, and I am wondering if this can be used by kids, with proper
supervision of course. It seems to benidely done, with the motor
behind the driver, roll cage etc.

But I do not know much about go carts.

It's good that it has the front facing roll bars. A youngster was killed in
Aus. when he ran a kart under the back of a parked vehicle. It was a
supervised activity on some grass & the kid just lost control or couldn't
control it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-20, Dennis wrote:

"Ignoramus25449" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/306.jpg.html

YERF DOG GO CART W/5 HP GASOLINE POWERED TECUMSEH MOTOR DRIVE

My 11 year old keeps asking for a go cart, I bought this one at
auction, and I am wondering if this can be used by kids, with proper
supervision of course. It seems to benidely done, with the motor
behind the driver, roll cage etc.

But I do not know much about go carts.

It's good that it has the front facing roll bars. A youngster was killed in
Aus. when he ran a kart under the back of a parked vehicle. It was a
supervised activity on some grass & the kid just lost control or couldn't
control it.

Yes, I thought that the roll cage is evidence of attention paid to
safety.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/306.jpg.html

YERF DOG GO CART W/5 HP GASOLINE POWERED TECUMSEH MOTOR DRIVE

My 11 year old keeps asking for a go cart, I bought this one at
auction, and I am wondering if this can be used by kids, with proper
supervision of course. It seems to be nidely done, with the motor
behind the driver, roll cage etc.

But I do not know much about go carts.

Set Rules: Child must have parent in supervision before driving. Lock
it to a pole if you have to.

Child must wear protective clothing - at a bare minimum a helmet with
a face shield or goggles, long sleeve shirt and pants, gloves and
sturdy shoes. After they have a big hunk of gravel bounce off the
goggles a few times that would have taken an eye out, they won't need
to be reminded.

Safety: Child must wear seatbelt and shoulder harness at all times.

Safety: For very young kids (under 10) you can buy or make a Kill
Switch - a garage door style clicker and receiver on the cart that
kills the ignition. They use them on Monster Trucks...

Or just rig a string to a pull-the-pin type Kill Switch from a
Jet-Ski, and walk behind them with a retracting dog leash attached to
the string. They take off, just pull.

There is usually a throttle limit screw on the engine throttle cable
linkage to govern back the top speeds. And take it for a spin
yourself every so often - a smart kid will find it and s-l-o-w-l-y
back it off and think you didn't notice the change.

YOU are in charge of backing the limit screw off slowly as the kid
gains competence and confidence.

And realize that kids over about 14 are going to outgrow this cart
FAST. And you can't go that fast without suspension, so expect to be
buying them a "Big Boy" Quad or ATV in the near future, then this one
gets handed down to the next generation. Or they get an old Honda
Odyssey or Pilot as a Project to fix up.

A 1A-10BC Extinguisher on board wouldn't be a bad idea, and a very
good habit to teach them while they are young.

(Amerex B417 in a double-strap 817S "Aircraft Bracket" on the floor,
tucked in front of the seat under their knees - a cheap Kidde /will/
/not/ take the pounding.)

You don't want to be out running around in a dirt field and something
catches fire (the grass or the cart engine) - and they're sitting
there going "Now what do I do...?" By the time you go back for help
from Dad, it's too late - you have to stop the fire as fast as you can
while it's small.

When you set up a Gasoline Burn Pan or pile of busted pallets behind
your shop and do fire extinguisher training, bring the kids along too
- Show them, then light it again and let them do it themselves.
Approach from upwind, pull pin, squeeze and slow sweep. Do this right
as the old tags expire on a few, then let the Extinguisher Company do
the annual refills on them.

Heroes are born, but Dead Heroes are the ones who leap in without
thinking first - Have some safety training, and always stop and think
long enough to make a plan on what you will do and how you will get
OUT AGAIN before you go running into a burning building.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/306.jpg.html

YERF DOG GO CART W/5 HP GASOLINE POWERED TECUMSEH MOTOR DRIVE

My 11 year old keeps asking for a go cart, I bought this one at
auction, and I am wondering if this can be used by kids, with proper
supervision of course. It seems to benidely done, with the motor
behind the driver, roll cage etc.

But I do not know much about go carts.

Looks like a well enough made cart.

All you need to do is put plenty of slack in the cable leading to the
throttle. He mashes down on it and it only will go as fast as you want
him to go.

Gunner

--
"Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus25449" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/306.jpg.html

YERF DOG GO CART W/5 HP GASOLINE POWERED TECUMSEH MOTOR DRIVE

My 11 year old keeps asking for a go cart, I bought this one at
auction, and I am wondering if this can be used by kids, with proper
supervision of course. It seems to benidely done, with the motor
behind the driver, roll cage etc.

But I do not know much about go carts.

Depends on the kid. My kids have a pair of 6.5 HP Mancos. Other than the
usual dumb stuff kids do they were fine. They are both on the road in real
go carts now. 205hp/345hp. Look out. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:21:42 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus25449 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...1/306.jpg.html

YERF DOG GO CART W/5 HP GASOLINE POWERED TECUMSEH MOTOR DRIVE

My 11 year old keeps asking for a go cart, I bought this one at

auction, and I am wondering if this can be used by kids, with proper

supervision of course. It seems to benidely done, with the motor

behind the driver, roll cage etc.

But I do not know much about go carts.

Most of those I have seen had roll cages made of very soft steel. You might take a look at that. But get it, they are a hoot.

Send your kids to college - where they play with toys RoboCop Home Repair 6 August 24th 12 12:22 AM
OA Cart SteveB[_10_] Metalworking 13 July 14th 09 10:32 PM
Fidelipac NAB cart play/record machine-2 track mono-7.5 IPS-for sale DeserTBob's Futile Efforts Electronics Repair 0 September 4th 07 11:50 AM
CART J T Woodworking 0 September 30th 05 11:02 PM
Kids, Kids' Projects & Fun charlieb Woodworking 0 August 14th 03 08:44 AM