Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I wanna make a lathe ......

for doing pool stick repairs. I imagine it would involve something to spin
the shaft or entire cue, and I can do that with a little sewing machine
motor and a large O ring looking drive belt hooked up to the pedal speed
control from the sewing machine. A couple of ball bearing trucks that hold
the shaft steady.

I do not need a chuck to hold the work, I intend to lay it on two trucks
that have a set of ball bearing wheels, and have the O ring sewing machine
drive belt in the middle to hold it down into the vee of the trucks.

My question is how do I get everything just exactly perfectly level, 90
degree, etc? The shafts are tapered, so the centerline is obscured. One
end is going to be a little different than the other, tho they would have
the same centerline. Maybe have a sliding center shaft that is set true
to just bring to the center of the mounted cue, and adjust the cue to
center.

There isn't much that I can get a caliper on.

On the front, I want to use a piece of cold rolled 3/4" bar as a rest for
sanding, or resting a file, or perhaps a woodworking lathe tool.

My main question is how to get it all true, level, plumb, 90 degree, etc, as
the shafts and tips have to be right, and in line.

Any sites you can send me to that explain some of the basics of lathes, how
they work, how to set up? Is there a type of lathe, or workpiece holder
that would work for this that I might just buy already made?

This is for fairly exacting work, but not as exacting as metal machining.

Thanks

Steve

I need a thread on tip for a Ready tool co live center - anyone wanna trade for some large lathe tools? William Noble Metalworking 0 September 22nd 07 05:03 AM
make a lathe test bar Karl Townsend Metalworking 16 September 26th 05 11:06 PM
MAKE DO WOOD LATHE J T Woodworking 0 August 27th 05 11:12 PM
fa: lathe tailstock (make your own lathe?) william_b_noble Woodturning 0 October 17th 04 04:02 AM
Delta/Rockwell 11" lathe gears - find or make? Dude Metalworking 4 November 3rd 03 11:43 PM