Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this wire chain called and how can I buy it

This chain comes from a variable speed drill press. Its job was to
move the speed indicator as the variable speed was
adjusted. Unfortunately, it was damaged and is now too short. What is
it called and where can I find something like that?

thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:16:22 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus5048 wrote:
This chain comes from a variable speed drill press. Its job was to

move the speed indicator as the variable speed was

adjusted. Unfortunately, it was damaged and is now too short. What is

it called and where can I find something like that?

thanks

No link to pic...

But I'm going to guess one of these three.

http://www.allproducts.com/metal/dot...ack_chain.html

http://www.allproducts.com/metal/dot...ack_chain.html

http://www.allproducts.com/metal/dot...ash_chain.html

If not, they have just about every other type on there...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5048 wrote:

This chain comes from a variable speed drill press. Its job was to
move the speed indicator as the variable speed was
adjusted. Unfortunately, it was damaged and is now too short. What is
it called and where can I find something like that?

thanks

I'm pretty sure we're not going to be able to help without a picture of
the chain or at least a good description of it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-21, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus5048 wrote:

This chain comes from a variable speed drill press. Its job was to
move the speed indicator as the variable speed was
adjusted. Unfortunately, it was damaged and is now too short. What is
it called and where can I find something like that?

thanks

I'm pretty sure we're not going to be able to help without a picture of
the chain or at least a good description of it.

Sorry, here's the picture

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:16:22 -0500, Ignoramus5048
wrote:

This chain comes from a variable speed drill press. Its job was to
move the speed indicator as the variable speed was
adjusted. Unfortunately, it was damaged and is now too short. What is
it called and where can I find something like that?

thanks

Which brand of drill press? Rockwell? Clausing?

Figure out which one it is..and call Leigh at MarMachine, Costa Mesa,
California, , he may have some carcasses

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5048 fired this volley in
:

On 2012-08-21, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus5048 wrote:

This chain comes from a variable speed drill press. Its job was to
move the speed indicator as the variable speed was
adjusted. Unfortunately, it was damaged and is now too short. What
is it called and where can I find something like that?

thanks

I'm pretty sure we're not going to be able to help without a picture
of the chain or at least a good description of it.

Sorry, here's the picture

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...nXtxO3bjAhN7B4
2H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink

Ladder chain. McMaster and others.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 17:27:34 -0500, Ignoramus5048

On 2012-08-21, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus5048 wrote:

This chain comes from a variable speed drill press. Its job was to
move the speed indicator as the variable speed was
adjusted. Unfortunately, it was damaged and is now too short. What is
it called and where can I find something like that?

thanks

I'm pretty sure we're not going to be able to help without a picture of
the chain or at least a good description of it.

Sorry, here's the picture

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

The nice thing about little chains like that is that you can make
extensions from pieces of similar diameter steel or stainless wire and
a pair of needle nosed pliers + some patience. Start with a length,
bend the U shape, then thread it through the existing chain. Now roll
the ends. Rinse, repeat. Good needle nosed pliers are necessary, but
you probably have some Kleins there, don't you? Use some with toothed
tips.

Your new chain doesn't necessarily have to be exactly alike, either.
Free-floating chain can be any style. It's only if it rubs on a guide
that it has to be a certain shape.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.