Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why I own an assault rifle

On Aug 16, 3:52*pm, Hawke wrote:

I think the first thing we have to do is learn enough about guns to stop
calling all semi-automatic rifles "assault rifles". Semi-automatic
shotguns aren't thought of as "assault weapons" but by the standard
everyone is using for semi-auto rifles then so are shotguns. The point
is a rifle that is semi-automatic is not an assault rifle or assault
weapon. That label applies only for fully automatic weapons, AKA machine
guns. As crazy as all these shooters have been not one of them had a
real assault rifle. We need to be clear on what we are discussing.

Dud. Machine guns are machine guns. Assault rifles are not machine
guns. An assault rifle is a rifle that shoots ammunition that is not
as powerful as what used to be a standard rifle. The original assault
rifle was a 1903 Springfield with a Pederson device. And that was a
semi-automatic weapon.

The Russians used regular rifles which fired a 7.62 mm by 54r round.
The Russian assault rifle was the AK 47 which fired a 7.62mm by 39.
It has a selection of either semi or full automatic. Since weapons
that can be fired in full automatic require an expensive license to
own, most assault rifles sold in the U.S. can only be fired as
semiautomatic weapors.

Dan

Many people are now calling all semi-automatic rifles assault weapons
because they want to put more restrictions on them, and that label is an
attempt to demonize them. But the one thing all these shootings has
shown is that no matter what laws you pass people who are mentally
unstable are not going to obey them. The only thing to stop those people
is armed guards, which may be what we have to start putting everywhere
crowds gather.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:40:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Aug 16, 3:52*pm, Hawke wrote:

I think the first thing we have to do is learn enough about guns to stop
calling all semi-automatic rifles "assault rifles". Semi-automatic
shotguns aren't thought of as "assault weapons" but by the standard
everyone is using for semi-auto rifles then so are shotguns. The point
is a rifle that is semi-automatic is not an assault rifle or assault
weapon. That label applies only for fully automatic weapons, AKA machine
guns. As crazy as all these shooters have been not one of them had a
real assault rifle. We need to be clear on what we are discussing.

Dud. Machine guns are machine guns. Assault rifles are not machine
guns. An assault rifle is a rifle that shoots ammunition that is not
as powerful as what used to be a standard rifle. The original assault
rifle was a 1903 Springfield with a Pederson device. And that was a
semi-automatic weapon.

The usually referenced "first Assault rifle" was Russian, " The first
in-service precursor of the assault rifle was the Russian Fedorov
Avtomat issued for the first time in 1915 and chambered for the
Japanese 6.5x50mm Arisaka rifle cartridge. It was highly favored by
Russian and Soviet troops and remained in service until World War II"

The Pederson Device was first manufactured in 1918 was apparently
never issued. A rare enough item that a complete, functioning Pederson
Device with some ammunition sold at auction for in excess of $60,000.

[...]

Cheers,
John B.